Modular Arithmetic: Exponentiation & Division Algorithm

• Thread starter davon806
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of exponentiation on the division algorithm and explores the possibility of finding a value of m that will result in either a remainder of 0 or a recurring remainder when dividing by a constant n. It is concluded that, in general, such a value of m does not exist.
davon806

Homework Statement

Hi,
I am currently working on modular arithmetic and recently I have been investigating on the effects of
exponentiation on the system.It will be helpful if someone can share some ideas on the following problem.

According to the division algorithm:

a= nQ+r,
where a is the dividend,n is the divisor,Q is the quotient and r is the remainder respectively.

Let a,n and r be constants.If a is raised to the power of k,where k is an arbitrary positive integer,

a^k = (nQ+r)^k

By using the binomial theorem,(nQ+r)^k = nQ' + r^k

if n<= r^k< n^2 , the quotient will be increased by 1.

So if r^k =/= n,the division process continues,the initial dividend a^k multiplies by a to the power of m,after that the remainder changes again.In equation form:

(a^k)(a^m) = [n(Q'+1) + (r^k)-n)] [nQ+r^m]
= nQ" + [(r^k) - n](r^m)-n] , the final term is the new remainder.

The process stops if the following is satisfied:

{[(r^e - n)r^b - n]r^c - n}r^d - n (...similarly,could be more terms) = 0
the power of a at which the algorithm stops = e+b+c+d

Rearranging the terms gives:
r^(e+b+c+d) = n + nr^d + nr^c + nr^b + nr^e

Or alternatively,in some occasion,the remainder of a^(e+b+c+d) is the same as the of a,so:

{[(r^e - n)r^b - n]r^c - n}r^d - n = r
r^(e+b+c+d) = r + n + nr^d + nr^c + nr^b + nr^e

My question is:
Is there a way to find the value of e+b+c+d for a given value of a,so that we are able to find the
value of the power of a at which the remainder = 0 or recurs upon dividing by a constant n?
In addition,for a given a,is it true that there must be an interger k such that n|a^k (i.e. r = 0) ?
That is:
r^(e+b+c+d) = n + nr^d + nr^c + nr^b + nr^e

where k = e+b+c+d

Example:
I know it is quite messy,I hope it will make it easier to understand by giving an example:
Let a = 11,n = 7
so if Q = 1,r = 4 ( 11 = 7(1) + 4 )

and a^2 = 121,keeping n to be constant yields:
121 = 7(17) + 2, r = 2

For a particular value of a,is there any method to find the power to a at which r recurs(i.e. the remainder = 4 again) and/or r = 0 ?
If there is any mistake please point out,and thanks for reading the wordy paragraphs.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is confusing. I'll interpret it as follows:

"Suppose we have that [itex]a\equiv b\mod n[/itex]. Can we find an [itex]m[/itex] such that [itex]a^m\equiv 0\mod n[/itex] or such that the remainder remains the same for [itex]m'>m[/itex]?"

The answer is, generally, no. Consider [itex]2\mod 6[/itex]. Then,

[tex]2^2\equiv 4\mod 6 \\ 2^3\equiv 2\mod 6 \\ 2^4\equiv 4\mod 6 \\ \vdots \\ 2^{2k}\equiv 4\mod 6 \\ 2^{2k+1}\equiv 2\mod 6.[/tex]

Pond Dragon said:
The question is confusing. I'll interpret it as follows:

"Suppose we have that [itex]a\equiv b\mod n[/itex]. Can we find an [itex]m[/itex] such that [itex]a^m\equiv 0\mod n[/itex] or such that the remainder remains the same for [itex]m'>m[/itex]?"

As I read the question, it's
"Suppose we have that [itex]a\equiv b\mod n[/itex]. Can we find an [itex]m[/itex] such that [itex]a^m\equiv 0\mod n[/itex] or such that the remainder is b? And how to find the smallest such m?"
As you say, there will not in general be an m that makes the remainder 0. davon806, consider factorisations of a and n.
For the second question, if a and am are congruent to b mod n, what equation does give you?

Related to Modular Arithmetic: Exponentiation & Division Algorithm

1. What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on integers, specifically involving the concept of a modulus. It is also known as clock arithmetic because it is often used to solve problems related to time and cycles.

2. What is exponentiation in modular arithmetic?

In modular arithmetic, exponentiation is the operation of raising a number to a power. It is a fundamental operation that is used to perform calculations in many areas of mathematics, including modular arithmetic.

3. How is division algorithm used in modular arithmetic?

The division algorithm, also known as the Euclidean algorithm, is used in modular arithmetic to find the greatest common divisor of two numbers. This is important because it allows us to simplify fractions and perform other calculations in modular arithmetic.

4. What is the difference between modular exponentiation and regular exponentiation?

The main difference between modular exponentiation and regular exponentiation is that in modular exponentiation, all calculations are done within a specific modulus. This means that the result of the exponentiation is always within a certain range, whereas in regular exponentiation, the result can be any integer.

5. How is modular arithmetic used in cryptography?

Modular arithmetic is used in cryptography to create public key encryption algorithms. These algorithms rely on the intractability of certain modular arithmetic problems to ensure the security of encrypted messages. Modular arithmetic is also used in other areas of cryptography, such as digital signatures and key exchange protocols.