Modifying values to lie within existence domain

In summary, given three parameters: a, b, and c, an exact value for v, s, and k can be found if b is greater than 1.08148a^2. However, if b is not greater than 1.08148a^2, then v, s, and k must be adjusted such that c is satisfied.
Siron
Given three parameters:
$$a= \frac{(k-3)^2 \sqrt{v}}{s}, \ \ b = \frac{v}{s}(w-10s), \ \ c = s \sqrt{v}.$$
which exact values I know (that is, I know $v,s,k$ and $w$ exactly). I need to guarantee that $a<0$ (this is always satisfied in my calculations!) and
$$0<b<1.08148a^2$$
For instance, if $b>1.08148a^2$ then I will replace $w$ by $w'$ such that $b(v,s,w') = 1.08148a^2$ and hence $b(v,s,w') - \epsilon$ satisfies the constraint. Here $\epsilon>0$ is an arbitrary small number.Consider another parameter $c = s \sqrt{v}$. I now have to guarantee that:
$$a<0, \quad 0<b<1.08148a^2, \quad q < c < 0, \qquad (*)$$
where $q$ is the greatest real root of the quartic polynomial
$$(48a^2+16b)x^4 - (40a^3+168 ab)x^3+(-45a^4+225a^2b + 72b^2)x^2+(27a^3b-162 ab^2)x+27b^3.$$
The explicit expression (which is a function of $a$ and $b$) for $q<0$ is quite horrendous. However, to guarantee that $q<0$ is real, I need that $a<0$ and $0<b<1.08148a^2$. So my question is, suppose I know the values of $a,b$ and $c$ where $b$ and $c$ do not satisfy the constraints. How can I modify $w$ and $s$ (similarly as above) **beforehand**, such that the constraints are satisfied? An ideal solution would be: replace $(s,w)$ by $(s',w')$, which gives me modified values $a',b'$ and $c'$, such that
$$0<b'<1.08148(a')^2, \qquad q(a',b')<c'<0.$$Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
UPDATE:

If for instance $b>1.08148a^2$ then I replace $w$ by $w'$ such that $b(v,s,w') = 1.08148a^2$ and then I extract $\epsilon>0$ to guarantee that the new value $b'(v,s,w')<1.0848a^2$ as required. On the other hand I also need to guarantee that $q(a,b)<c<0$. Since I adjusted $b$, $q(a,b)$ also changes and hence I need to guarantee that $q(a,b(v,s,w')) = q(a,1.08148a^2-\epsilon)<c<0$. However, to that end I have to adjust $s$ since $c(s,v) = s\sqrt{v}$. Since I adjust $s$ the value for $a$ and $b$ will be different as well, because they are functions of $s$. Therefore, replacing $(s,w)$ beforehand by $(s',w')$ such that the constraints are satisfied, comes down to solving the following system of equation for $(s',w')$
$$\begin{cases} b(v,s',w') = 1.08148(a(v,s',k))^2 \\ q(a',1.08148(a')^2-\epsilon )= s' \sqrt{v} \end{cases},$$
which is equivalent with
$$\begin{cases} \frac{v}{s'}(w'-10s') = 1.0848 \frac{(k-3)^2 v}{(s')^2} \\ q(a',1.0848(a')^2-\epsilon) = s' \sqrt{v} \end{cases}$$

Now, solving the first equation of the system for $w'$ is straightforward. The value for $s'$ should be computed from second equation. However, the expression for $q(a',1.08148(a')^2-\epsilon)$ is probably quite ugly (but it is possible to compute it). Maybe I should use a numerical algorithm here? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Related to Modifying values to lie within existence domain

1. What is the purpose of modifying values to lie within an existence domain?

The purpose of modifying values to lie within an existence domain is to ensure that the values used in a scientific study or experiment are within a certain range or scope that is relevant and applicable to the topic being studied. This helps to prevent skewed results and ensures that the data gathered is accurate and meaningful.

2. How do you determine the existence domain for a particular scientific study?

The existence domain for a scientific study is determined by the specific variables and parameters being studied. These can be determined through prior research, theoretical knowledge, or through experimentation. It is important to consider all relevant factors and potential limitations when determining the existence domain for a study.

3. What are some methods for modifying values to fit within an existence domain?

There are several methods for modifying values to fit within an existence domain. One common method is to use mathematical transformations, such as logarithms, to adjust the values. Another approach is to use statistical techniques, such as normalization or standardization, to scale the values to fit within the desired range. It is important to carefully consider which method is most appropriate for a particular study.

4. Can modifying values to lie within an existence domain affect the results of a study?

Yes, modifying values to lie within an existence domain can have an impact on the results of a study. If the modifications are not done carefully or appropriately, it can introduce bias or error into the data. It is important to carefully consider the potential effects of modifying values and to document any changes made in the research process.

5. Are there any ethical considerations to keep in mind when modifying values to fit within an existence domain?

Yes, there can be ethical considerations when modifying values to fit within an existence domain. It is important to ensure that the modifications made do not compromise the validity or ethical standards of the study. Researchers should also be transparent and clearly explain any modifications made in their research methods and findings.