Modifying My Boat's Keypad Module: Searching for a Heater Pad

In summary: He is looking for a small pad, no bigger than 1" x 2" x 1/16", and thinks 10 watts would be enough. He plans to wire it with a momentary switch and use it for short periods only. He is considering making his own using nichrome wire, and has found a tutorial for DIY heated beds. He also wants to use a thermistor and simple circuit to automatically turn on the heater below a certain temperature. Suggestions are given for potential heaters, such as motorcycle hand grip heaters or strip heaters from Watlow.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
The chartplotter on my boat works fine. But the buttons work via a sealed keypad module. The contacts use (I think) a. Conductive grease. It works fine when the temperatures are 70F (20C) or higher, but not fine when it is colder. I'm fond of that device. I would rather modify it than replace it.

I'm looking for a 12v heater pad, no bigger than 1" x 2" x 1/16" that I could add. I think 10 watts would be plenty. I would wire the pad in with a momentary switch, and use it for short period only.

Can anyone suggest a good candidate? Motorcycle hand grip heaters seem almost ideal, but at 3x3 inches, they are too big, and I don't think I could trim them to size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You can make your own. Electronics stores have nichrome wire.
Google "DIY Heated bed" there's a wealth of information as they're used for diy 3D printing, here's one tutorial:
http://airtripper.com/698/resistance-wire-heated-build-platform-diy-tutorial/

I would power it off the acc feed and use a thermistor and simple circuit to have the heater turn on below X degrees. Install and forget. I would think 10 watts would be overkill, one or two would do.

Likes anorlunda
Try Watlow. They sell strip heaters made in Kapton and silicon rubber of various sizes and shapes. For your application, It's difficult to say what a good wattage would be. For a roughly 13V system, 169 Ohms would give you 1 watt, 85 Ohms, 2 watts.

Mike

Likes anorlunda

Related to Modifying My Boat's Keypad Module: Searching for a Heater Pad

1. How do I know if my boat's keypad module is compatible with a heater pad?

The best way to determine if your boat's keypad module is compatible with a heater pad is to consult the manufacturer's specifications or contact the manufacturer directly. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and recommendations for compatible heater pads.

2. Can I install a heater pad on my own or do I need a professional?

This depends on your level of expertise and comfort with electronics and wiring. If you are not confident in your abilities, it is best to hire a professional to ensure the installation is done correctly and safely. However, if you have experience with wiring and feel confident, you can install a heater pad on your own.

3. How much does it cost to install a heater pad on my boat's keypad module?

The cost of installation will vary depending on the size and type of heater pad, as well as the labor costs of hiring a professional. On average, installation costs can range from $100 to $500. It is best to get quotes from multiple professionals to determine the best price for your specific needs.

4. Will adding a heater pad to my boat's keypad module affect its warranty?

This will depend on the manufacturer's warranty and terms. It is best to check with the manufacturer or consult your warranty documents to see if installing a heater pad will void your warranty. In some cases, the manufacturer may offer approved heater pads that will not affect the warranty.

5. How do I maintain my boat's keypad module with a heater pad?

To ensure the longevity and proper functioning of your boat's keypad module with a heater pad, it is important to regularly clean and inspect the keypad and wiring. If any issues arise, it is best to contact a professional for maintenance and repairs. Additionally, follow the manufacturer's guidelines for proper use and care of the heater pad.

Back