Modify Phone Battery: Is It Safe?

• Thread starter Stephenk53
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the individual wants to modify their phone by using batteries from other phones they have collected over the years. They are unsure if they have the correct battery and are asking if this is a good idea. The person has experience soldering batteries together, but wants to make sure it is safe for their expensive phone. It is advised that paralleling batteries is not recommended unless they are the same model and brand new, and even then it is best to contact the manufacturer for their recommendation. It is also suggested to visit Battery University for more information. Without knowing the specific phone types, it is deemed unsafe and not recommended to modify the phone.
Stephenk53
I want to modify my phone by using one of the batteries from phones I have stockpiled over the years and wiring them together. I doubt I have a battery that matches the battery my phone has, so I will have to check. Assuming I have the correct battery, is this a good idea?

By the way I have soldered batteries together before but I want to make sure it's fine since my phone is expensive, at least by my standards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Stephenk53 said:
I want to modify my phone by using one of the batteries from phones I have stockpiled over the years and wiring them together. I doubt I have a battery that matches the battery my phone has, so I will have to check. Assuming I have the correct battery, is this a good idea?

By the way I have soldered batteries together before but I want to make sure it's fine since my phone is expensive, at least by my standards
Doesn't sound like a good idea. If you are intending to connect the batteries in parallel, that probably will not work. Only batteries with certain chemistries and very similar charge/discharge histories can be paralleled.

Do you know how I could check if the batteries have a chemistry that work in parallel? As for charge/discharge histories, could I instead get two new batteries or two equally old batteries and use them instead of my current battery. Again assuming the batteries are the same as the one I currently use

Stephenk53 said:
Do you know how I could check if the batteries have a chemistry that work in parallel? As for charge/discharge histories, could I instead get two new batteries or two equally old batteries and use them instead of my current battery. Again assuming the batteries are the same as the one I currently use

I would say the only two batteries that could be successfully paralleled would be if they are the same model and both brand-new. Even then, I would contact the manufacturer to ask if they recommend this.

Stephenk53 said:
What could possibly go wrong? Go for it!

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/de6e99f55...burning-phone-in-jeans-back-pocket-eb1pyd.jpg
close-up-of-burning-phone-in-jeans-back-pocket-eb1pyd.jpg

Attachments

• close-up-of-burning-phone-in-jeans-back-pocket-eb1pyd.jpg
    close-up-of-burning-phone-in-jeans-back-pocket-eb1pyd.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 423
Likes sophiecentaur and dlgoff
Stephenk53 said:
Do you know how I could check if the batteries have a chemistry that work in parallel?
You may want to go to the Battery University.

Stephenk53 said:
I want to modify my phone by using one of the batteries from phones I have stockpiled over the years and wiring them together.
Care to tell us some phone types?
Sometime it is possible: but in general, it is futile and dangerous. So without any details, it is a big NO-NO.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Modify Phone Battery: Is It Safe?

1. Can modifying a phone battery be dangerous?

Yes, modifying a phone battery can be dangerous. Any time the internal components of a battery are tampered with, there is a risk of fire, explosion, or chemical burns. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and have the necessary knowledge and tools before attempting to modify a phone battery.

2. What are the potential risks of modifying a phone battery?

The potential risks of modifying a phone battery include short circuits, fire, explosion, chemical burns, and damage to the phone or other devices it is connected to. There is also a risk of voiding the phone's warranty if the battery is modified.

3. Is it safe to increase the capacity of a phone battery?

Increasing the capacity of a phone battery can be potentially dangerous. It involves adding more cells to the battery, which can lead to an imbalance in the battery's chemistry and increase the risk of fire or explosion. It is important to have the proper knowledge and equipment to safely increase a phone battery's capacity.

4. Can modifying a phone battery improve its performance?

Modifying a phone battery may improve its performance in terms of longer battery life or faster charging. However, it is important to note that modifying a battery can also decrease its performance if not done correctly. It is recommended to only modify a phone battery if you have the necessary knowledge and skills.

5. What are some safe ways to modify a phone battery?

Some safe ways to modify a phone battery include using official battery replacements or upgrading the phone's software to optimize battery performance. It is also important to regularly clean the battery contacts and avoid exposing the battery to extreme temperatures, which can help improve its performance. If you are unsure about how to safely modify a phone battery, it is best to consult a professional.