Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle

In summary, the desired trajectory is a cycloid in the x-y plane and a parabolic trajectory in the x-z plane. To achieve this, the electric field needs to be modified to have an additional component in the x-direction of the same magnitude but opposite in sign to the y-component. The magnetic field remains unchanged.
peasqueeze
I need a charged particle trajectory in crossed E and B that is a cycloid in the x-y plane. This part is simple enough, but I want the trajectory to be parabolic in the x-z plane. The images will help explain what I need.

1zecaa1.jpg

The left image shows the shape I want to achieve, and the right image shows my current attempt. The fields producing the image on the right are...
$$
\vec{B} = B_{0}\hat{z}
$$
$$
\vec{E}=\gamma E_{y}\hat{x}+E_{y}\hat{y}+E_{z}\hat{z} ; E_{z}<<1
$$

So- how can I modify the above electric and magnetic fields to produce this 'parabolic cycloid'
Note: I know the image on the right doesn't look like a cycloid exactly, but, for my model, I needed really tight loops. So don't get hung up on that detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
The key to achieving the desired trajectory is to modify the electric field so that it has an additional component in the x-direction. This component should be of the same magnitude as the y-component, but opposite in sign. In other words, you should have:$$\vec{E}= \gamma E_{y}\hat{x} - E_{y}\hat{y} + E_{z}\hat{z} ; E_{z} << 1$$This will produce a cycloid in the x-y plane and a parabolic trajectory in the x-z plane.

Related to Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle

1. What is Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle?

Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle is a type of motion exhibited by charged particles in a magnetic field. It is a modified version of the cycloid motion, which is a combination of circular and linear motion. In this modified version, the particle's path follows a cycloid shape, but with smaller loops and a larger radius of curvature.

2. What causes Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle?

The Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle is caused by the interaction between the particle's charge and the magnetic field. When a charged particle enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the particle's path to curve, resulting in the Modified Cycloid motion.

3. How is Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle different from regular Cycloid motion?

Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle differs from regular Cycloid motion in terms of the size and shape of the loops. In regular Cycloid motion, the loops are smaller and closer together, while in Modified Cycloid motion, the loops are larger and further apart. Additionally, the radius of curvature in Modified Cycloid motion is larger than in regular Cycloid motion.

4. What are the applications of Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle?

Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle has several applications in various fields such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and positron emission tomography (PET) scanners.

5. Can Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle be observed in nature?

Yes, Modified Cycloid motion of charged particle can be observed in nature. Charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field exhibit this type of motion and can be seen in the form of auroras in the polar regions. It is also observed in cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles coming from outer space.