Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano

• Quantum
  • Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm Sakurai
In summary: Lorentz transformation and special relativity in a cavalier way without any rigorous justification. This is a terrible mistake.
DrClaude
Mentor
I have recently received an inspection copy of the 2nd edition of Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai, now co-authored by Jim Napolitano.

Here goes some free publicity: I love this book! It is like the old Sakurai, simply better. I know that many here at PF recommend Sakurai for advanced undergraduate QM, so I would like to let you know that it just got better.

Likes dRic2, JD_PM, Marc Rindermann and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
DrClaude said:
I have recently received an inspection copy of the 2nd edition of Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai, now co-authored by Jim Napolitano.

Here goes some free publicity: I love this book! It is like the old Sakurai, simply better. I know that many here at PF recommend Sakurai for advanced undergraduate QM, so I would like to let you know that it just got better.

What's new ?

DrClaude said:
I know that many here at PF recommend Sakurai for advanced undergraduate QM, so I would like to let you know that it just got better.

Actually, in North America, Sakurai (and Napolitano) is more often used in grad school quantum mechanics (from back cover: " a graduate-level, non-historical, modern introduction"). Griffiths or Townsend or McIntyre are often used for undergrad quantum mechanics.

George Jones said:
Actually, in North America, Sakurai (and Napolitano) is more often used in grad school quantum mechanics (from back cover: " a graduate-level, non-historical, modern introduction"). Griffiths or Townsend or McIntyre are often used for undergrad quantum mechanics.
That's reasonable, but I would still put Sakurai at the upper undergraduate level, as I think it is accessible to a student who has worked with Griffiths or McIntyre in a first QM course. I would hope that a grad student would be able to tackle Ballentine directly :smile:.

Likes Demystifier
DrClaude said:

Great book. But I believe the 2017 edition is just a reissue. If I am not mistaken the 2nd edition was published around 2010 (by Pearson).

Likes DrClaude
smodak said:
Great book. But I believe the 2017 edition is just a reissue. If I am not mistaken the 2nd edition was published around 2010 (by Pearson).
You're right. I just found the mention that it was previously published in 2011. I was only aware of the revised edition of 1994. But the typography appears to me new.

Likes smodak
DrClaude said:
That's reasonable, but I would still put Sakurai at the upper undergraduate level, as I think it is accessible to a student who has worked with Griffiths or McIntyre in a first QM course. I would hope that a grad student would be able to tackle Ballentine directly :smile:.
It's the text we used in our theory course. At my university (TU Darmstadt) the QT came after the "Vordiplom" in the theory course (after Mathematical methods, analytical mechanics, classical electrodynamics). I loved this text, because it helped me to get rid of all the sins of physics didactics imposed on me as a high-school student and by the experimental-physics lecture, tormenting us with "old quantum mechanics" like the Bohr model of atoms ;-)).

Interestingly, we had a "revised edition", edited by S. F. Tuan, which differed from the 1st edition by including some more topics like the path-integral approach and the electric and magnetic Aharonov-Bohm effect and things like this.

It's still my favorite introductory QM 1 text.

Another brillant one is available only in German: E. Fick, Einführung in die Grundlagen der Quantentheorie. It's the only book I know, which gives a very clear exposition of the general picture of time evolution!

I don't understand the joy (?) behind the second edition (actually, one has a new author, so it is actually a new book), because all additions are definitely outside the spirit of the late JJ Sakurai. If the fellow was still alive at the moment of Napolitano's rewriting, he wouldn't have approved with these additions (one outrageous chapter on "relativistic quantum mechanics", total butchering of the 2nd chapter by adding useless material which would be at an introductory/undergraduate level, unnecessary stuff in chapter 3, etc.) which make the charm of this book simply go away. :(

Likes DarMM
What? There's a chapter on "relativistic quantum mechanics" in this 2nd edition? Usually this means they treat relativistic QT as if one could treat it in 1st quantization as non-relativistic QT, and this is an outdated view since the early works on QFT by Jordan, Dirac, and Heisenberg, let alone in the 21st century. Ok, Bjorken and Drell vol. 1 is to blame for this sin too, but writing even a chapter 50 years later in this misleading way is indeed against the spirit of Sakurai. When I recommend it, I refer to the older version ("Revised Edition" coauthored/edited by Tuan, not Napolitano).

The same was done to the brillant book on mathematical methods in physics by Courant and Hilbert. I fortunately have the original two-volume version. I think, one must not allow to rewrite such all-time classics of the textbook history in an attempt to make them "modern". You always get something worse than the original!

Likes Buffu
Hi PF Community!

I am looking for an undergraduate/graduate Quantum Physics book focused on problem solving (or at least with a good amount of useful problems) setting aside Griffiths and came across Sakurai's book.

Based on the online version (1994), I see there are a bunch of problems per chapter.

Should I go for Sakurai or there's another book on QP more focused on problem solving?

Thanks.

JD_PM said:
I am looking for an undergraduate/graduate Quantum Physics book focused on problem solving (or at least with a good amount of useful problems) setting aside Griffiths and came across Sakurai's book.

Based on the online version (1994), I see there are a bunch of problems per chapter.

Should I go for Sakurai or there's another book on QP more focused on problem solving?

I am not sure if it is at the right level or if it has the material that you want, but "Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili contains many examples and detailed solutions to many problems.

Likes JD_PM and vanhees71

Related to Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano

1. What is the main focus of "Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano"?

The main focus of "Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano" is to provide a rigorous and comprehensive understanding of quantum mechanics, including its mathematical foundations and applications in various fields of physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics?

No, this book is not suitable for beginners in quantum mechanics. It is intended for advanced undergraduate or graduate students who already have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and its mathematical formalism.

3. What sets "Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano" apart from other quantum mechanics textbooks?

This book is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its focus on the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. It also includes numerous real-world examples and applications, making it a valuable resource for students and researchers alike.

4. How does "Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano" approach the topic of quantum mechanics?

This book takes a modern and more abstract approach to quantum mechanics, emphasizing the role of symmetry and its connection to conservation laws. It also covers advanced topics such as quantum entanglement and quantum information theory.

5. Is "Modern QM by Sakurai and Napolitano" a standalone textbook or should it be used in conjunction with other resources?

While this book can serve as a standalone textbook, it is recommended to use it in conjunction with other resources such as lecture notes or supplementary texts. This will help solidify the concepts and provide additional examples and practice problems for a deeper understanding of quantum mechanics.