Modern Physics - Work Energy Theorem

In summary: Then use integration by parts to integrate the ##\frac{dp}{dx}## term and simplify. You should end up with an expression for the work-energy theorem using relativistic momentum and kinetic energy.
giraffe

Homework Statement

The work-energy theorem relates the change in kinetic energy of a particle to the work done on it by an external force: [itex] \triangle K = W = \int F\, dx [/itex]. Writing Newton's second law as [itex] F = \frac{dp}{dt} [/itex], show that [itex] W = \int v\, dp [/itex] and integrate by parts using the relativistic momentum to obtan equation 2.34.

(this is a 2 part problem. one part is showing that [itex] W = \int v\, dp [/itex] and the second is integrating that equation. i am using modern physics 3rd edition kenneth kramer. i have no idea what equation 2.34 as i can not find it in the chapter.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
the equations listed in the problem

relativistic momentum (in [itex] \frac {\text{kg} \cdot \text{m}}{\text{s}}[/itex] ) [itex]\vec{p} = \frac{m\vec{v}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/itex]

relativistic momentum (in MeV) [itex] pc = \frac{mvc}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \frac{mc^2(\frac{v}{c})}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
first part, not quite sure. i know i have to make the substitution for F so [itex] \int{\frac{dpdx}{dt}}\ [/itex] after that i don't know.

second part probably going to need help with that integral once i figure this first part out. i need to use the second equation to isolate v and than integrate what's left somehow.

thanks for the guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts for two functions ##u## and ##v## can be expressed as $$\int{udv} = uv - \int{vdu}$$

I suspect that equation 2.34 in your text is the expression for relativistic kinetic energy.

Use the chain rule to express the force as
$$ F = \frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{dp}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt} $$ and plug that into the integral.

Related to Modern Physics - Work Energy Theorem

What is the Work Energy Theorem?

The Work Energy Theorem is a fundamental concept in modern physics that describes the relationship between work and energy. It states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

How is the Work Energy Theorem used in physics?

The Work Energy Theorem is used to analyze the motion and energy of objects in various systems. It can be applied to both macroscopic and microscopic systems, and is a useful tool in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

What is the formula for the Work Energy Theorem?

The formula for the Work Energy Theorem is W = ΔK, where W represents the work done on an object and ΔK represents the change in its kinetic energy. This formula can be used to calculate the work done on an object in a given system.

How does the Work Energy Theorem relate to conservation of energy?

The Work Energy Theorem is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The Work Energy Theorem shows how work done on an object can change its kinetic energy, which is a form of energy.

Can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to non-conservative forces?

Yes, the Work Energy Theorem can be applied to non-conservative forces, such as friction or air resistance. In these cases, the work done by these forces will result in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy. However, the total work done on the object will still be equal to the change in its kinetic energy, in accordance with the Work Energy Theorem.