Modern Physics Momentum and Trying to find the Direction of Decayed Particles

This allows you to find the direction of the pions after the decay. In summary, to solve for the speed of the kaon before decaying and the directions of the pions after the decay, you can use the equations for momentum in the x and y directions, along with trigonometric identities, to find the values of the angles and solve for the unknown variables.
RadiantL

Homework Statement

A kaon (denoted K0) is an unstable particle of mass 8.87 × 10−28kg. One of the means by which it decays is by spontaneous creation of two pions, a π+and a π−. Both the pions have
a mass of 2.49 × 10−28kg. Suppose that a kaon moving in the +x direction decays by this process with the π+ moving off at speed 0.9c and the π−at 0.8c.

(a) What was the speed of the the kaon before decay?
(b) In what directions do the pions move after the decay?

mass of kaon = 8.87x10^28 kg
mass of both pions = 2.49x10^-28 kg
u of pion+ = 0.9c
u of pion- = 0.8c

I solved part a) and found that the speed of the kaon before decaying was approximately 0.437c

and just need a little help with the second part

Homework Equations

momentum in x direction =
γkmkuk= γ+m+u+ + γ-m-u-

momentum in y direction =
0 = γ+m+u+ - γ-m-u-

where the + and - subscripts are for the + pion and - pion and k is for the kaon

The Attempt at a Solution

so basically i plugged in what I knew, and reduced everything to this:

Momentum in x direction =

4.30 = 5.13cosθ+ + 3.33cosθ-

Momentum in the y direction =

3.33sinθ-= 5.13sinθ+

i have 2 thetas and I'm not really sure how to go about finding the angles... I canceled the c's and the x10^-28 from both sides to make it a little bit nicer but I'm just stuck... here any advice would be great :)

PS: for my past life, i seen people dividing equations by each other a lot cancel things out. If anyone can also provide an explanation to what is really happening, it would be nice too.

Physics news on Phys.org

To solve for the angles, you can use trigonometric identities to eliminate one of the thetas. For example, you can use the identity sin^2θ + cos^2θ = 1 to solve for one angle in terms of the other. Then, you can substitute this into one of the equations to solve for the remaining angle.

As for dividing equations, this is a common technique in mathematics called "elimination" or "substitution." It involves using one equation to solve for one variable, then substituting this value into another equation to solve for another variable. In this case, you can use the equations for momentum in the x and y directions to eliminate one of the thetas and solve for the other.

Related to Modern Physics Momentum and Trying to find the Direction of Decayed Particles

1. What is momentum in modern physics?

Momentum in modern physics refers to the quantity of motion possessed by a particle or system of particles. It is a vector quantity that is dependent on both the mass and velocity of the particles.

2. How is momentum conserved in systems of particles?

In modern physics, momentum is conserved in systems of particles through interactions between them. This means that the total momentum of the system remains constant, even if individual particles within the system may change their momentum.

3. How do scientists determine the direction of decayed particles?

Scientists use various techniques such as particle detectors and mathematical calculations to determine the direction of decayed particles. They analyze the energy and trajectories of the particles to determine their direction.

4. What is the role of momentum in determining the direction of decayed particles?

Momentum plays a crucial role in determining the direction of decayed particles. This is because the momentum of a particle is conserved during its decay, and the direction of the momentum can provide valuable information about the direction of the decayed particle.

5. How does modern physics explain the phenomenon of momentum?

Modern physics explains momentum as a fundamental property of particles that arises from their mass and velocity. It is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of particles and systems of particles, and has applications in various fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.