Modern Physics Experiments in Newton's Time: A Look Back in Time

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, modern physics experiments that could be reproduced with existing technology during Newton's time include Milliken's oil-drop experiment, demonstrations of Bernoulli's findings on lift, and experiments related to electromagnetism using magnets and copper.
Loren Booda
What modern physics experiments could you, brought back to the time of Newton, have reproduced with then existing technology?

Physics news on Phys.org
With static electricity, microscopes and even a poor vacuum, you can do Milliken's oil drop. Of course, when I did it as an undergrad (in the 1980's) using fairly modern equipment (from the 1960's) I got +/- 300% error. Not quite good enough to prove quantization of charge.

Njorl

Njorl,

With an excellent lab partner in freshman advanced physics at Yale, I performed the oil-drop experiment, and from his statistics obtained an e/me accuracy of +/- 1%. My swan song.

I was thinking that Newton could have found an approximation for the blackbody spectrum using prisms.

Simple demostration of Beurnulli's (sp?) findings on lift. Just hold a piece of paper and blow across the top and watch as the paper rises because of the lower pressure of the high speed air across the top.

Well they had magnets, and they had copper, so the whole field of electromagnetism would be a good one. Not exactly 'modern' I suppose but once you had some electricity to play with, you could cobble together so many different experiments...

Related to Modern Physics Experiments in Newton's Time: A Look Back in Time

1. What is the significance of Newton's time in modern physics experiments?

Newton's time is considered a crucial period in the development of modern physics experiments. During this time, Newton's laws of motion and the law of universal gravitation were established, providing the foundation for modern physics experiments and theories.

2. What were some of the major experiments conducted during Newton's time?

Some of the major experiments conducted during Newton's time include the famous falling apple experiment, the prism experiment, and the pendulum experiment. These experiments helped to validate Newton's laws of motion and provided evidence for the law of universal gravitation.

3. How did Newton's experiments contribute to our understanding of the physical world?

Newton's experiments and observations played a crucial role in shaping our understanding of the physical world. His laws of motion and theory of gravity provided a comprehensive explanation for the behavior of objects in motion and the forces that govern them.

4. Can we still learn from Newton's experiments in modern times?

Absolutely. Newton's experiments laid the groundwork for modern physics and continue to be relevant in understanding fundamental principles of motion and gravity. Many of his principles are still used in modern experiments and serve as the basis for new discoveries.

5. How did Newton's experiments pave the way for future scientific advancements?

Newton's experiments not only provided important insights into the physical world, but they also paved the way for future scientific advancements. His laws of motion and theory of gravity led to the development of new technologies and theories, making him one of the most influential scientists in history.