Modelling wind resonance in turbines (linear)

In summary, the project focuses on modelling the resonant response of a wind turbine due to wind by creating a simplified model in MATLAB. The model assumes a periodic, harmonic wind wave and a linear system. The equations of motion for a spring-damper system are taken into account, including the forces of the spring, damper, and applied forces. The goal is to deduce the equations of motion for the chosen system in order to analyze its resonant response. Suggestions for how to approach this are welcome.
ivyperdok
Hello! I chose an aspect of a dynamical system exhibiting resonance to model. The focus of the project is on the resonant response of the system.

If the wind has a frequency that matches the natural frequency of a turbine, then the turbine will resonate due to wind. I am working on modelling the resonant response in turbines due to wind in order to simulate the model in MATLAB. The model will be a simplified one, with the approximations and assumptions listed. For example I will assume that the wind is a periodic, harmonic wave and the system is linear, so it is similar to modelling a mass-damper system or cantilever system since the system is oscillating and being pushed back to its equilibrium position.

For the equations of motion for a spring-damper system I would take into account the forces of the spring, the damper, applied forces if there is any, equate this to the acceleration of the mass and take it from there.

I am trying to deduce the equations of motion of my system of choice for the analysis, however I am not sure where to start and what forces I have to take into account to write the equations for the system in order to analyse its resonant response.

I would ve most grateful if you have any suggestions for how to go about doing this.

Thank you!

Regards

Ivy

Engineering news on Phys.org
Exactly what parts of the wind turbine are you trying to model? A turbine blade or the entire turbine itself? Analyzing a single blade first would be a good place to start. Wind turbines are notoriously hard to model due to the variations of the wind and due to them being constructed out of composite materials. Can you show us a list of your assumptions?

Related to Modelling wind resonance in turbines (linear)

1. What is wind resonance in turbines?

Wind resonance is the phenomenon in which the natural frequency of a turbine's blades matches the frequency of the wind, causing them to vibrate and potentially leading to structural damage or decreased efficiency.

2. How is wind resonance in turbines modeled?

Wind resonance in turbines can be modeled using linear dynamics, which involves mathematically representing the turbine's structure and the forces acting on it due to wind, and then solving for the resulting motion and behavior.

3. What factors affect wind resonance in turbines?

Several factors can affect wind resonance in turbines, including the shape and size of the turbine blades, the wind speed and direction, and the surrounding terrain and environment. Additionally, the material and design of the turbine itself can also impact wind resonance.

4. How does wind resonance impact turbine performance?

Wind resonance can have negative impacts on turbine performance, such as increased wear and tear on the blades, decreased efficiency, and potential damage to the structure. It is important for wind turbines to be designed and operated in a way that minimizes the risk of wind resonance.

5. Can wind resonance in turbines be prevented?

While it is difficult to completely prevent wind resonance, there are steps that can be taken to mitigate its effects. This includes carefully designing and testing turbines to avoid resonant frequencies, as well as implementing control systems that can adjust the turbine's speed and blade angles to reduce the risk of resonance.