Modelling The Sun’s Magnetic Field

In summary, the author is constructing a solar wind outflow model, incrementally relaxing a series of initial assumptions. He has now arrived at the stage where he wants to consider magnetism, and the MHD equations. He plans to approximate the sun's magnetic field as a north-south magnetic dipole. His question is, given his mathematical inexperience, are there any recommended books, etc. with regard to his interests, and secondly, more mathematically, how would he calculate the magnetic field at any point given a 2D solar model and obvious spherical polars?
JvanDyne
I’m currently constructing a solar wind outflow model, incrementally relaxing a series of initial assumptions in a stage-by-stage process. I’ve now arrived at the stage where I want to consider magnetism – and the MHD equations. My plan is, in what seems the simplest starting point, to approximate the sun’s magnetic field as a north-south magnetic dipole. My question is, therefore, given I am (as a maths student) an EM newbie, are there any recommend books, etc, w/r/t/ my particular interests, and secondly, more mathematically, how would I, assuming a 2D solar model and obvious spherical polars, calculate the magnetic field at any point?

Thanks. And thanks again if you understood that.

EDIT: This - http://seismo.berkeley.edu/~rallen/eps122/lectures/L05.pdf (pages 3,4,5,6) - seems, for the earth, to exactly calculate what I'm talkling about, but I don't quite follow the absent steps(?).

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any book on winds that includes the Weber-Davis model would be the starting point. Just go to a library and scan the books on stars for one that has those words in its appendix or table of contents, or google for class lecture notes on that. W-D is 1D, for a journal article on 2D, try http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1985A&A...152..121S. The first key thing you will find is that your outflow model must change the situation significantly from a 2D dipole, but that does not necessarily mean more complexity. What's hard is to merge the dipole lower down where the field is strong with the outflow-type field farther out (and then way far out, the solar rotation gives you a "Parker spiral."). That first transition is of significant importance to how the wind carries off angular momentum, and is a subject of current research! Weber-Davis will show you that the transition happens gradually, but can be treated for some purposes as if it occurred rapidly at the Alfven radius. So perhaps your study should begin with the concept of an "Alfven radius"-- you can google that too (but beware, some people treat it like a sudden transition, and it's not-- that's just an as if.)

Last edited:
Ken G said:
Any book on winds that includes the Weber-Davis model would be the starting point. Just go to a library and scan the books on stars for one that has those words in its appendix or table of contents, or google for class lecture notes on that. W-D is 1D, for a journal article on 2D, try http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1985A&A...152..121S. The first key thing you will find is that your outflow model must change the situation significantly from a 2D dipole, but that does not necessarily mean more complexity. What's hard is to merge the dipole lower down where the field is strong with the outflow-type field farther out (and then way far out, the solar rotation gives you a "Parker spiral."). That first transition is of significant importance to how the wind carries off angular momentum, and is a subject of current research! Weber-Davis will show you that the transition happens gradually, but can be treated for some purposes as if it occurred rapidly at the Alfven radius. So perhaps your study should begin with the concept of an "Alfven radius"-- you can google that too (but beware, some people treat it like a sudden transition, and it's not-- that's just an as if.)
Thanks, I'll check it out.

I should have been clearer with where I'm currently at: I have been, up to this point, largely shadowing some of the very early work by, in fact, Eugene Parker. My current model neglects rotation, presuming outwardly radial emission and velocity, with dependences of temperature, pressure and density. It is in an embryonic early form, and I have been tasked with continuing to improve it. -- i.e. with the introduction of magnetism and the MHD equations (my choice).

Related to Modelling The Sun’s Magnetic Field

What is the purpose of modelling the Sun's magnetic field?

The purpose of modelling the Sun's magnetic field is to better understand how it affects the Sun's behavior, such as its activity and energy output. It can also help us predict and prepare for potential solar storms and their impact on Earth.

What factors are taken into consideration when creating a model of the Sun's magnetic field?

When creating a model of the Sun's magnetic field, factors such as the Sun's rotation, composition, temperature, and density are all considered. The influence of solar winds and other external forces are also taken into account.

How is a model of the Sun's magnetic field validated?

A model of the Sun's magnetic field is validated by comparing its predictions to observations and measurements of the actual magnetic field. If the model accurately predicts the behavior of the Sun's magnetic field, it is considered a valid representation.

What are some applications of modelling the Sun's magnetic field?

Modelling the Sun's magnetic field has various applications, including space weather forecasting, studying the formation and evolution of sunspots, and improving our understanding of the Sun's impact on Earth's climate.

What challenges are associated with modelling the Sun's magnetic field?

One of the main challenges of modelling the Sun's magnetic field is the complexity of the Sun's behavior and the interactions between its various layers. Additionally, obtaining accurate and comprehensive data can also be a challenge, as the Sun is constantly changing and evolving.