Modelling Salt and Water Flow in a Tank

• Thread starter DennisG
  • Start date
In summary, to represent 2 tons of salt entering a 20 ton tank of water each minute while 2 tons of the mixture are drained each minute, a differential equation is set up as \frac {d}{dt} \frac {S^2 + W^2}{S+W} = \dot S, where W(t) is the amount of water in the tank and S is the amount of salt given by S = S_0 + \dot S \times t with \dot S being the constant rate at which salt is added.
DennisG
set up a differential equation to represent 2 tons of salt entering a 20 ton tank of water each minute while 2 tons of the mixture are drained each minute

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac {d}{dt} \frac {S^2 + W^2}{S+W} = \dot S[/tex]

where W(t) is the amount of water in the tank and S is the amount of salt given by [itex]S = S_0 + \dot S \times t[/itex] with [itex]\dot S[/itex] being the constant rate at which salt is added.

Are you sure about that tide? I could swear I tried that same thing, but I don't know, maybe I was just being an idiot. Thanks for the help

Related to Modelling Salt and Water Flow in a Tank

1. Why can't I solve this problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having difficulty solving a problem, such as lack of understanding, missing information, or incorrect assumptions. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify any potential barriers that may be preventing you from finding a solution.

2. What should I do if I can't solve a problem on my own?

If you are struggling to solve a problem on your own, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or mentor. Collaborating with others can provide new perspectives and insights that may lead to a solution. Additionally, you can also consult relevant resources or conduct further research to gain a better understanding of the problem.

3. Is it normal to encounter problems that I can't solve?

Yes, it is completely normal to come across problems that you are unable to solve. In fact, encountering challenges and obstacles is an essential part of the scientific process. It is important to remain persistent and keep trying different approaches until you are able to find a solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

There are several ways to improve your problem-solving skills, such as practicing regularly, seeking feedback from others, and learning from your mistakes. It is also important to stay updated on current research and advancements in your field, as this can provide valuable insights and techniques for problem-solving.

5. Can problem-solving be learned or is it a natural skill?

Problem-solving is a skill that can be learned and improved upon with practice. While some individuals may have a natural aptitude for problem-solving, anyone can develop this skill through dedication and hard work. It is important to approach problems with a positive attitude and a willingness to learn and adapt to new challenges.