Sites containing original problems

• Thread starter Will
  • Start date
In summary, a user is looking for websites with original textbook-like problems in math, physics, and chemistry. Another user recommends using Schaum's Outlines for solved and unsolved problems, specifically the books "Differential Equations" and "Modern Introductory Differential Equations." Other relevant books mentioned are "Laplace Transforms" and "Fourier Analysis with Applications to Boundary Value Problems." The second user also mentions REA solution guides, which are big and expensive, but have not been reviewed. The conversation ends with a user suggesting that another user could start a course on differential equations, but the latter expresses concern about time constraints.
Will
Does anyone know of any sites that have original textbook like problems for math/physics/chemistry that one could do? I seem to be running out of problems in my text, some of these that I have done more than a few times, its like I am not really doing them anymore, I just recognize the numbers I got before! So I need new ones. Right now I need something with elementary differential equations, but any site containing problems for the above mentioned subjects would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will,

I don't know of any problems online, but a good inexpensive source of solved problems and unsolved problems with answers is Schaum's Outlines. For your specific course, there are two:

*Differential Equations
*Modern Introductory Differential Equations

Both are great, especially the latter. You might also find the following Schaum's outlines helpful:

*Laplace Transforms
*Fourier Analysis with Applications to Boundary Value Problems

The first one is especially good, and highly relevant to a first course in ODE's.

Thanks. I have heard about them, I will have take a closer look. The ones you are talking about are those laminated sheets, with just a few pages, right?
So what do you think about those REA solution guides? I have one for physics, it is awesome. Over 1100 pages chock full of worked problems, from general non-calculus based all the way to wicked DFQ type problems and modern physics!

Tom, old soul, you could start a course on differential equations if you want.

Originally posted by Will
Thanks. I have heard about them, I will have take a closer look. The ones you are talking about are those laminated sheets, with just a few pages, right?

No, these are 100+ pages and cost about $15 a pop.

So what do you think about those REA solution guides?

They're big, heavy, and expensive. I have not reviewed the content, because they are usually on the rack right next to the Schaum's.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
Tom, old soul,

For the last time, 30 is not old, goddammit!

you could start a course on differential equations if you want.

The real issue is time. I wanted to start a bunch of summer courses, but it doesn't look like I can. At the time I posted that poll, I had just had a good job interview, and it looked like I was in there, but I haven't heard back from them. So, I'm still stuck at my crappy temp job, working a ton of OT to pay the bills.

Maybe next summer...

well if I started one I could probably not get farther than the Laplace transform, but it would be a good thing to have at PF.

1. What are "Sites containing original problems"?

"Sites containing original problems" refer to websites that offer unique and challenging problems in various subject areas, such as mathematics, science, and logic puzzles. These problems are created by individuals or teams and are not found in standard textbooks or curriculum.

2. How can "Sites containing original problems" benefit me as a student?

These websites can provide a fun and engaging way to practice and improve your problem-solving skills. They can also expose you to new and creative approaches to solving problems, which can be helpful in academic and real-world settings.

3. Are the problems on these sites credible and reliable?

Most "Sites containing original problems" have a team of experts who review and verify the accuracy and quality of the problems. However, it is always a good idea to check the sources and references provided to ensure the credibility of the problems.

4. Can I use these problems for my own educational purposes?

Yes, many of these websites allow users to use the problems for personal or educational purposes. However, it is important to check the website's terms and conditions to ensure proper usage and attribution.

5. Are there any costs associated with using these sites?

Some "Sites containing original problems" may require a subscription or payment to access their full range of problems and features. However, there are also many free options available. It is best to research and compare different sites to find one that fits your needs and budget.