Modeling Population Growth [dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h]

A)^2+h} + At]/[1+t A^2/(k^2+hA)]In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h using partial fractions and integration. The final solution is P(t) = [k/sqrt{(k/A)^2+h} + At]/[1+t A^2/(k^2+hA)].
NZBRU
Does anyone know how to solve dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h for P. I understand partial fractions are needed and I have already solved dP/dt = k P - A P2. Is anyone able to solve it, Cheers NZBRU.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

dt = dP/(k P - A P^2 - h) = -1/A dP/[ (P- k/A)^2-{(k/A)^2+h} ] = -1/A dp/[p^2 - {(k/A)^2+h}) ] , p= P- k/A

= -1/A dp/[p - sqrt{(k/A)^2+h} ][p +sqrt {(k/A)^2+h} ]

now you can integrate.

If I typed that in correctly the line would be [-1/A [dp]/[[p - sqrt{(k/A)^2+h} ][p +sqrt {(k/A)^2+h} ]]]=dt or would it be: [-1/A [dp] [p +sqrt {(k/A)^2+h} ]/[p - sqrt{(k/A)^2+h} ]]=dt? (I have not used ASCIIMath extensively). Thank you for the fast response.

Hi !
integration gives t(P)
The inverse fonction is P(t)

Attachments

• EDO.JPG
    EDO.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 400

Hello NZBRU,

Thank you for your question. The equation dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h is known as the logistic growth model, which is commonly used in population biology to model the growth of a population over time. In this equation, P represents the population size, t represents time, k is the intrinsic growth rate, A is the carrying capacity, and h is the environmental resistance.

To solve this equation for P, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on either side of the equation and then integrating both sides. In this case, we can rewrite the equation as:

dP/(k P - A P2 - h) = dt

Next, we can use partial fractions to simplify the left-hand side of the equation. This involves breaking down the denominator into simpler fractions. In this case, we can rewrite the equation as:

dP/[(A/k)P - P2 - h/k] = dt

Using partial fractions, we can express the right-hand side as:

dP/[(A/k)P - P2 - h/k] = [1/(A/k) - 1/(P + h/k)]dP

Now, we can integrate both sides of the equation, which will give us:

ln[(A/k)P - P2 - h/k] = (1/A)P - (1/k)ln(P + h/k) + C

Where C is the constant of integration. We can then rearrange this equation to solve for P:

[(A/k)P - P2 - h/k] = e^(1/A)P - C

Solving for P, we get:

P = (A/k) - (1/k)e^(1/A)P + C/(1/k)e^(1/A)

I hope this helps you solve the equation. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Modeling Population Growth [dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h]

1. What is the meaning of the variables in the population growth model?

The variable P represents the population size, t represents time, k is the growth rate, A is the competition coefficient, and h is the carrying capacity.

2. How does the population growth model work?

The population growth model, also known as the logistic growth model, describes how a population changes over time. The equation dP/dt = k P - A P2 - h takes into account the growth rate, competition among individuals, and the maximum population size that the environment can support.

3. What is the significance of the carrying capacity in the population growth model?

The carrying capacity, represented by the variable h, is the maximum number of individuals that an environment can support. Once the population reaches this limit, the growth rate will decrease and eventually reach a stable equilibrium.

4. How is the population growth model used in scientific research?

The population growth model is commonly used in ecology and biology to study and predict changes in populations over time. It can also be used in conservation efforts to determine the maximum sustainable population size in a given habitat.

5. Can the population growth model be applied to all species?

The population growth model can be applied to a wide range of species, but it is most accurate for populations that are not subject to external factors such as predation, disease, or human interference. It is also important to note that the model assumes a constant environment, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios.