Modeling of resistance in a rectangular sheet with COMSOL

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the electrical resistance between one corner of a thin conductive sheet and any other point on the sheet, but is not sure how to go about it. They suggest using finite-sized electrodes to make the numerical solver better behaved.
sunshine09
Hi,

I have got a simple problem which makes me struggle.
I have a rectangular thin conductive sheet (2D) of width w, height h
and conductivity suspended in air.
I would like to calculate with COMSOL/Femlab the electrical resistance between one of the corners of the conductive sheet and any other point on the sheet?
I selected the 'conductive media DC' mode in 2D. I am not sure what
boundary condition I should choose and how to apply a potential to one
of the corners.
Since the sheet is suspended in air I thought of putting isolating
boundary conditions on all 4 sides, but then how will I apply the
potential to the corner? Somehow it does not give meaningful results.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

David

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know COMSOL so I can't help with your numerical simulation. I can tell you that the potential becomes singular at the infinitesimal points where your are introducing/removing current. Suggest using finite-sized electrodes to make the numerical solver better behaved. A small circular electrode on the plate and a semi-circular electrode at the corner, both small compared to the rectangle but enclosing multiple meshes, should do it.

you should be able to set the potential along the boundaries. Make sure youve got a ground somewhere on ther, and have you tried a point condition?

@Marcusl: Thanks for the suggestion. makes sense to me.

@Nick: Yes, it is possible to set the potential along a boundary. I could for example define a small square electrode whose boundary I set to a potential of say 5V. I am also able to set the border of the big rectangle to isolating. Now I still need to get a ground somewhere, but where. I think if I want to calculate the resistance between one corner and a point (X,Y) then I have to set the corner to 5V and this point (X,Y) to ground and then somehow calculate the current. But this calculation I would have to code in a script and repeat 10000 times, if I assume a 100 x 100 grid.
I am wondering if there is a faster solution.
I have looked through all Femlab examples and could not find the solution.

Thanks

Try and contact Mina with Comsol on their website. she's a big help.

Related to Modeling of resistance in a rectangular sheet with COMSOL

What is COMSOL and how does it relate to resistance modeling?

COMSOL is a software package used for finite element analysis and multiphysics modeling. It can be used to simulate and analyze the behavior of complex systems, including the electrical resistance of a rectangular sheet. COMSOL uses mathematical models and simulations to predict the resistance of a rectangular sheet under various conditions.

What factors affect the resistance of a rectangular sheet?

The resistance of a rectangular sheet is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the sheet, its dimensions, and the temperature. The type of current flow (AC or DC) and the presence of any external fields can also impact the resistance. In COMSOL, these factors can be included in the model to accurately predict the resistance of the sheet.

How can COMSOL be used to optimize the design of a rectangular sheet for desired resistance?

COMSOL can be used to create a virtual prototype of a rectangular sheet and simulate its behavior under different design configurations. By changing the dimensions, material properties, and other parameters, the optimal design for achieving a desired resistance can be determined. This can save time and resources in the design process.

Can COMSOL be used to model different types of resistance, such as thermal or electrical?

Yes, COMSOL is a versatile software that can be used to model various types of resistance, including thermal and electrical. It can also model the coupling between different types of resistance, such as the impact of temperature on electrical resistance. This makes COMSOL an essential tool for multi-physics simulations.

Is prior experience with modeling and simulation necessary to use COMSOL for resistance modeling?

Prior experience with modeling and simulation is helpful in using COMSOL for resistance modeling, but it is not necessary. COMSOL has an intuitive user interface and provides extensive documentation and tutorials to help users get started. Additionally, there are online resources and forums available for support and guidance. With some practice, COMSOL can be used effectively by scientists and engineers of all levels of experience.