Modeling Light Geodesics in FLWR Metric: Trajectory and Convergence Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an application that models the trajectory of a light geodesic in the FLWR metric. The metric is shown with the use of differential systems, and the system is solved using the Runge-Kutta numerical method. The problem being encountered is the convergence of two rays when they arrive in our galaxy, and the conversation suggests using the Dyer-Roder equation to address this issue. The conversation also mentions the angular diameter distance and how it affects the variation of theta and r. The conversation ends with a request to get a curve for the opened/closed/euclidean cases in FLWR metric using a numerical approach.
fab13
hello,

I developed an application that models the trajectory of a light geodesic in the FLWR metric leaving from a galaxy and coming to our. I made for the moment the euclidean case (k=0) with a zero cosmological constant . So, the metric can be written :

[tex]ds^{2}=c^{2}dt^{2}-R(t)^{2}d\sigma^{2} [/tex]​

with
[tex]
d\sigma^{2}=dr^2+r^2(d\theta^2+sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2)
[/tex]​

and
[tex]R(t)=R_{0}\,(\frac{3\,H_{0}}{2}\,t)^{2/3} [/tex]​

I get differential system from geodesics general equation :

[tex]\frac{d^2\,u^{i}}{ds^2}+\Gamma_{j}_{}^{i}_{k}\,\frac{d\,u^j}{ds}\,\frac{d\,u^k}{ds}=0[/tex]​

here is the differential system :

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}ct}{ds^{2}} = -\frac{2}{3}\,R_{0}^{2}\,\bigg(\frac{3\,H_{0}}{2\,c}\bigg)^{4/3}\,(ct)^{1/3}\,\bigg(\bigg(\frac{d\,r}{ds}\bigg)^{2}+r^2\,\bigg(\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}\bigg)^{2}+r^{2}\,sin^{2}(\theta)\,\bigg(\frac{d\,\phi}{ds}\bigg)^{2}\bigg)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{ds^{2}} & = & -\frac{4}{3\,ct}\,\frac{d\,ct}{ds}\,\frac{d\,r}{ds}+r\,\bigg(\bigg(\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}\bigg)^{2}-sin^{2}(\theta)\,\bigg(\frac{d\,\phi}{ds}\bigg)^{2}\bigg)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d^{2}\theta}{ds^{2}} & = & -\frac{2}{r}\,\frac{d\,r}{ds}\,\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}-\frac{4}{3\,ct}\,\frac{d\,ct}{ds}\,\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}+\frac{sin(2\,\theta)}{2}\,\bigg(\frac{d\,\phi}{ds}\bigg)^{2} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^{2}\phi}{ds^{2}} & = & -2\,\frac{d\,\phi}{ds}\,\bigg(\frac{2}{3\,ct}\,\frac{d\,ct}{ds}+cotan(\theta)\,\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}+\frac{1}{r}\,\frac{d\,r}{ds}\bigg)[/tex]​

I solve this system by Runge-Kutta numerical method. the initial conditions are linked by the following equation :

[tex]\bigg(\frac{d\,ct}{ds}\bigg)_{0}^{2}=R(t_{0})^{2}\bigg(\bigg(\frac{dr}{ds}\bigg)_{0}^{2}+r_{0}^2\bigg(\bigg(\frac{d\theta}{ds}\bigg)_{0}^{2}+sin^{2}(\theta_{0})\bigg(\frac{d\phi}{ds}\bigg)_{0}^{2}\bigg)\bigg)[/tex]​

If i take [tex] \frac{d\,\phi}{ds} = \frac{d\,\theta}{ds} = 0 [/tex], ie if i consider only radial trajectories, i get the figure 1 in attachment where i plot the Distance "r" as a function of Local time "ct" expressed in Megaparsec. i took to get this figure :

[tex]\bigg(\frac{d\,r}{ds}\bigg)_{0} = -1 [/tex]

[tex]\bigg(\frac{d\,\theta}{ds}\bigg)_{0} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \bigg(\frac{d\,\phi}{ds}\bigg)_{0} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] r{0} = 3000 Mpc [/tex]
and
[tex]R_{0} = 1 [/tex]​

The dotted line represents the trajectory of light ray and the solid line represents the trajectory of the galaxy where light is emitted.
the problem I encounter is when I'm looking for the propagation of two rays and to compare the actual angular size of the object and the angular size that we observe. This is represented on figure 2 in attachment. I don't know how to make converge the two rays when they arrive in our galaxy. I think that "r" and "theta" should vary simultaneously but what initial conditions should I take to it ?

We can see on figure 3 in attachment the case where curvature k=0. It's possible to have "theta" constant and "r" which decreases but in the two others cases, "theta" and "r" vary in same time. I hope you understand my problem.

Thanks.

Attachments

• figure1.png
    figure1.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 369
  • figure2.jpg
    figure2.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 312
  • figure3.png
    figure3.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
The way that this is sometimes addressed in general is via the Dyer-Roder equation, which looks at a bundle of light rays and works out how that bundle get converged or sheared as it passes through the Universe. However in the case of a smooth universe (as you are using) this becomes much simpler to compute, and there is a relatively simple single integral to be performed, which tells you this 'Angular Diameter Distance'.

There is an excellent summary of this and other distance measures available from ArXiv http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9905116" . Every cosmology grad student should have this paper handy at all times (and most that I know do...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

i would like to get the curve in attachment ("dda_2.jpg") for the opened/closed/euclidean cases in FLWR metric, with numerical approach. I have seen informations about the definition of the angular diameter distance and my problem lies on the variation of theta ( i only take into account of theta and r). According the definition of angular diameter distance :

[tex] d_{\theta}=R(t_{emission})\,r_{1} = a(t_{emission})\, R_{0}\,r_{1}=a(t_{emission}))\, d_{comobile,today} [/tex]​

with
[tex]a(t)=\frac{R(t)}{R_{0}} [/tex].​

I solved numerically a(t) thanks to Friedmann equations. I have with the definition of FLWR metric :

[tex]\int_{r}^{r1}\,\frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-k\,r^2}} = \int_{t1}^{t}\, \frac{c dt}{R(t)}[/tex]​
where k=-1,0,1

For example, i can write in euclidean case :

[tex]r(t)=r1-\int_{t1}^{t}\, \frac{c dt}{R(t)}[/tex]​

this implies that r(t) is going to decrease with time and so, the angle theta is going to increase indefinetely because r(t) decreases until it vanishes, according this formula ( D is the diameter of the emitting object ) :

[tex]\theta=\frac{D}{r(t)}[/tex]​

That's not the behavior of the angle theta on "dda_2.jpg" which doesn't reach an infinite value for r=0.In this last expression, have i got to multiply r(t) by R(t) ? , this would give :

[tex]\theta=\frac{D}{R(t)\,r(t)}[/tex]​

I think light geodesics are not like comobile object (one galaxy for example) whose distance is (r1 * R(t)) where r1 doesn't vary over time, that's why i use r(t).

I hope you will understand my problem with the simultaneous variation of r and theta. I repeat, i'am searching to get the figure "dda_2.jpg" with the 3 cases (open/close/euclidean).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• dda_2.jpg
    dda_2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

Related to Modeling Light Geodesics in FLWR Metric: Trajectory and Convergence Analysis

1. What are light geodesics in FLWR?

Light geodesics in FLWR refer to the paths that light rays follow in the FLWR spacetime. FLWR is an acronym for the four types of spacetime described by Friedmann-Lemaitre-Robertson-Walker metrics, which are used to model the expanding universe. These light geodesics are important for understanding the behavior of light in the universe.

2. How do light geodesics differ from other types of geodesics?

Light geodesics differ from other types of geodesics in that they are null geodesics, meaning that they have zero length. This is because light travels at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed possible in the universe. Other types of geodesics, such as timelike or spacelike geodesics, have nonzero length and represent the paths of particles with mass or energy.

3. What causes light geodesics to curve in FLWR spacetime?

Light geodesics in FLWR spacetime curve due to the presence of mass and energy. This is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that the curvature of spacetime is caused by the distribution of mass and energy. In FLWR spacetime, the presence of matter and energy in the universe causes the fabric of spacetime to curve, which in turn affects the paths of light geodesics.

4. How are light geodesics used to study the universe?

Light geodesics are used to study the universe by providing information about the structure and dynamics of the universe. By observing the paths of light geodesics, scientists can gather data on the distribution of matter and energy in the universe, as well as the expansion rate of the universe. This can help us better understand the evolution of the universe and the forces that govern it.

5. Can light geodesics be affected by other factors besides mass and energy?

Yes, light geodesics can also be affected by other factors such as gravitational waves, dark matter, and dark energy. Gravitational waves are ripples in spacetime caused by the acceleration of massive objects, while dark matter and dark energy are both mysterious components of the universe that have significant gravitational effects. These factors can also contribute to the curvature and behavior of light geodesics in FLWR spacetime.