Modeling CO2 Laser as a 4-Level Laser

• Thread starter chimay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the CO2 laser and the generic four level laser described in the first picture both have four levels, but the radiative transition in the CO2 laser is between levels 3 and 2, while in the first picture it is between levels 2 and 1. Additionally, the CO2 laser also has non-optically active transitions between levels 3 and 2 due to collisions in the gas.
chimay
I am not sure this is the right place where I should post, I hope I've chosen the right section.

I'm studying laser's fundamentals on Svelto's "Principles of Lasers". Here I find the description of a generic four level laser by means of rate equations; it can be represented like this: (first picture)

Then, I read that the CO2 laser, whose basic scheme is in the second picture, can be modeled as a four-levele laser too; I don't understand why this is true. In the CO2 laser the radiative transition is between level 3 and 2, while in the first photo it is between 2 and 1. Moreover, level n.3 in the first picture should be pratically empty, while in the CO2 laser it isn't so.

Can anyone explain me how I can model a CO2 laser like a four-level laser like the one in the first picture?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Laser4LivelliBuono.png
    Laser4LivelliBuono.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 567
  • Livelli energetici laser CO2.png
    Livelli energetici laser CO2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not a laser expert, but maybe this helps. The pictures are describing somewhat different processes. The CO2 laser is a four level system:

v0: ground state
v1: symmetric vibrational mode
v2: bending mode
v3: anti-symmetric vibrational mode

In the CO2 laser you have a lasing from the anti-symmetric (v3) vibrational mode to the symmetric vibrational (v1) mode with the release of energy as a photon. Such a transistion satisfies conservation laws. However, you can also have relaxations between the antisymmetric mode (v3) and the "bending mode" (v2), yet this is not an optically active transition. The v3-v2 transitions are due to collisions in the gas.

the first picture (left) also shows a four level system with lasing between levels (v2) and (v1). A system like this would have a molecule excited to (v3). The molecule then relaxes to (v2) and lases from (v2 to v1). Finally the molecule may relaxes from v1 to the ground state v0 via collisions.

So your point is "there are 4 levels in both cases, they just differ from the radiative transition, 3->2 instead of 2->1", is it?

Yes - I think that is what is going on

Related to Modeling CO2 Laser as a 4-Level Laser

1. What is a 4-level laser?

A 4-level laser is a type of laser system that involves four energy levels within the laser medium. It is considered more efficient than 3-level lasers as it requires less pumping energy to achieve laser action.

2. How does CO2 gas play a role in the 4-level laser model?

CO2 gas is commonly used as the laser medium in 4-level CO2 lasers. This gas has a unique energy level structure that allows for efficient energy transfer and population inversion, which are necessary for laser action.

3. What are the four energy levels involved in a 4-level laser?

The four energy levels in a 4-level laser are the ground state, two lower energy levels, and the upper energy level. The two lower energy levels are often referred to as the pump levels, and the upper energy level is the laser level where the emission of light occurs.

4. How does the pumping process work in a 4-level CO2 laser?

In a 4-level CO2 laser, the pumping process involves exciting CO2 molecules from their ground state to a higher energy level using an external energy source, such as an electrical discharge. This creates a population inversion between the two lower energy levels, which is necessary for laser action.

5. What applications are 4-level CO2 lasers commonly used for?

4-level CO2 lasers are widely used in industrial applications such as cutting, welding, and engraving due to their high power output and precise beam. They are also used in medical procedures, scientific research, and military applications.