Modeling and simulating a 2D Turbulent flow

In summary, the individual is new to the science of turbulence and fluids and is looking for a way to model and simulate a scenario involving a flow affected by a spatially varying magnetic field and current. They are comfortable with MATLAB and Java and are seeking a textbook or software to assist in their first time simulations. Some suggested resources include a paper from Google, the use of Ansys, and the use of REDUCE.
jamalkoiyess
Hello PF,

I am new to the science of turbulence and fluids but recently I have been working with my professor on 2D steady state turbulence and I was looking for a way to model and simulate this scenario:
I have a flow affected by a spatially varying magnetic field and having a current pass by it. I want to see how the fluid behaves under the usual magnetohydrodynamics laws.

This is an absolutely first time for me in simulations. A textbook wouldn't be bad but if some kind of ready software exists it would be better.
I am comfortable with both MATLAB and Java.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
jamalkoiyess said:
Hello PF,

I am new to the science of turbulence and fluids but recently I have been working with my professor on 2D steady state turbulence and I was looking for a way to model and simulate this scenario:
I have a flow affected by a spatially varying magnetic field and having a current pass by it. I want to see how the fluid behaves under the usual magnetohydrodynamics laws.

This is an absolutely first time for me in simulations. A textbook wouldn't be bad but if some kind of ready software exists it would be better.
I am comfortable with both MATLAB and Java.

Thanks.

Google is your friend:
https://www.ann-geophys.net/25/779/2007/angeo-25-779-2007.pdf
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4591202/

Using Ansys:
http://www.journal.ftn.kg.ac.rs/Vol_11-2/01-Naceur-Kadid-Abdessemed.pdf

Using REDUCE:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1502.06666.pdf

Likes jamalkoiyess

Related to Modeling and simulating a 2D Turbulent flow

1. What is modeling and simulating a 2D turbulent flow?

Modeling and simulating a 2D turbulent flow is the process of using mathematical equations and computer algorithms to recreate the behavior of a turbulent flow in a two-dimensional space. This allows researchers to study the complex patterns and dynamics of turbulent flows without having to conduct expensive and time-consuming experiments.

2. Why is it important to study 2D turbulent flows?

2D turbulent flows are commonly found in various natural and industrial settings, such as in the atmosphere, ocean currents, and in the flow of fluids in pipes and channels. Understanding the underlying dynamics of 2D turbulent flows is crucial in optimizing designs and predicting the behavior of these systems, leading to more efficient and safe operations.

3. What methods are used for modeling and simulating 2D turbulent flows?

There are various methods used for modeling and simulating 2D turbulent flows, including direct numerical simulation (DNS), large eddy simulation (LES), and Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) equations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations and is chosen based on the specific research question and available computational resources.

4. How accurate are the results obtained from modeling and simulating 2D turbulent flows?

The accuracy of the results obtained from modeling and simulating 2D turbulent flows depends on the complexity of the flow and the method used. DNS provides the most accurate results but requires a significant amount of computational resources, while LES and RANS are less computationally demanding but may have some limitations in capturing certain flow features.

5. What are some applications of modeling and simulating 2D turbulent flows?

The study of 2D turbulent flows has various applications, including in weather forecasting, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics. It is also useful in designing and optimizing various industrial processes, such as in the oil and gas industry, where understanding turbulent flows is crucial for efficient and safe transportation of fluids.