Modeling an Asteroid's Trajectory Towards the Sun Using Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the differential equation for the position of an asteroid falling towards the sun, starting from rest with initial potential and kinetic energy of 0. The equation was derived using Newton's second law and was used to find the function for time as a function of position. The conversation also addressed using limits and integrating with respect to distance and time. However, there were some errors in the derived equation and the integral, leading to an incorrect solution. Further clarification and corrections were needed to solve the problem accurately.
It looks good. What did you get for t?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 12.3 years from that. I had 29 years the other way. But the other way was much more mistake prone.

Crush1986 said:
I get 12.3 years from that. I had 29 years the other way. But the other way was much more mistake prone.
Yes, it was easy to make mistakes, but I got the same results as you at the end. The initial conditions were different. The first method assumed zero initial speed, negative total energy. The second one assumed zero total energy, but that meant nonzero initial speed. As you noticed, the asteroid gains speed very slowly at the beginning. That can cause the difference between the times.

ehild said:
Yes, it was easy to make mistakes, but I got the same results as you at the end. The initial conditions were different. The first method assumed zero initial speed, negative total energy. The second one assumed zero total energy, but that meant nonzero initial speed. As you noticed, the asteroid gains speed very slowly at the beginning. That can cause the difference between the times.
I see. If we made crude approximations that the P.E. at this distance is zero, and assumed the asteroid had zero speed at it's beginning. Method 2 would be ok, right?

Crush1986 said:
I see. If we made crude approximations that the P.E. at this distance is zero, and assumed the asteroid had zero speed at it's beginning. Method 2 would be ok, right?
Both methods have sense. The complicated one assumed that the asteroid had zero speed, so its energy was negative. The simple method assumed zero total energy, which meant it got some initial speed towards the Sun.
The spaceship New Horizons arrived to Pluto in about 9 years, in a backward track. http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/Mission/The-Path-to-Pluto/Mission-Timeline.php. So times of a few decades have sense.

I see thanks!

This problem definitely showed me a lot of things I have to learn. I was completely taken by surprise by the negative differentials. I guess it makes sense though, if the force is attractive it's negative, so the acceleration has to be negative. As a consequence dr/dt is also negative with how the problem is describing what the asteroid is doing.

The velocity and acceleration are first and second time derivatives of the position vector. Putting the origin into the sun, ##\vec v = \frac{d \vec r }{dt}##. But we worked with the scalar r, distance between Sun and asteroid. It decreased with time. That is why we used the negative sign: v, the speed was v=-dr/dt.

Hrm, ok. I think that is how I was thinking about it. I just said it horribly. I think I understand all that went on in here, haha. I'm definitely going to be mulling it over at work tonight. Thanks! Hopefully all this time will greatly increase my understanding.