Modeling an Accelerating Structure as Static

In summary: If not, what direction is the force pointing?If the rocket is rotating, the force will also be rotating with it. Assuming the rocket is in a plane, the force points along the axis of the rocket.
Alex Mondal
Hello all,

I am calculating the loads on an unconstrained structure in space that is accelerating. There is a constant known force (T) being applied to it at one end (point A). The structure is a rocket with distributed mass but let's assume it is a uniform beam with constant density. I would like to know the load and bending moments across the length of this beam structure. The force of the weight acts at the center of mass (L/2 for an uniform beam). For a classic rigid beam problem, the force applied would be constant throughout. However, because the system is unconstrained, point A sees the magnitude of the force applied while point b, at the other end, sees a zero load. I also don't understand how to couple the fact that the structure is accelerating. If the structure experiences 3 g's (3 times the acceleration Earth's gravity) it will experience a load that is higher then the applied load T. Is my logic correct?

In the end I would like to have mass points along this vehicle with rough moments of inertia of the vehicle. Then if I determine linear and angular acceleration, I can determine the load and moment distribution.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
-Alex M.
Austin, Tx

Physics news on Phys.org
Alex Mondal said:
Hello all,

I am calculating the loads on an unconstrained structure in space that is accelerating. There is a constant known force (T) being applied to it at one end (point A). The structure is a rocket with distributed mass but let's assume it is a uniform beam with constant density. I would like to know the load and bending moments across the length of this beam structure. The force of the weight acts at the center of mass (L/2 for an uniform beam). For a classic rigid beam problem, the force applied would be constant throughout. However, because the system is unconstrained, point A sees the magnitude of the force applied while point b, at the other end, sees a zero load. I also don't understand how to couple the fact that the structure is accelerating. If the structure experiences 3 g's (3 times the acceleration Earth's gravity) it will experience a load that is higher then the applied load T. Is my logic correct?

In the end I would like to have mass points along this vehicle with rough moments of inertia of the vehicle. Then if I determine linear and angular acceleration, I can determine the load and moment distribution.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
-Alex M.
Austin, Tx

In problems like these, start with a simple sketch of your body and all the external forces (or accelerations) acting on the body, i.e., make a free body diagram. For example, it is the thrust of the rocket motor which is causing the rocket to accelerate at 3 g's, so you can replace the thrust of the motor with inertia loads acting on the internal structure of the rocket (at least in the direction of travel), because that's the dynamic loading the structure sees. After all, F = ma, even for rockets.

To find the variation of force along the length of the structure, make an FBD of just one end (say the end opposite the applied force). The internal force shows up in this FBD as an external force on the cut surface (where you cut through the complete body to sever one end).

What is the orientation of the force relative to the axis of the rocket?

Chestermiller said:
What is the orientation of the force relative to the axis of the rocket? Is the rocket rotating in a plane, and, does the force also lie within that plane?

Related to Modeling an Accelerating Structure as Static

1. What is a static model of an accelerating structure?

A static model of an accelerating structure is a simplified representation of an accelerating structure that assumes it is in a stationary state. This means that the structure is not undergoing any changes or accelerations, and all forces acting on it are balanced.

2. How is a static model of an accelerating structure created?

To create a static model, various assumptions and simplifications are made about the accelerating structure. These may include assuming a constant velocity, neglecting friction and air resistance, and simplifying the structure's shape and materials. The equations used to describe the structure are also simplified to only include terms that are relevant in a static situation.

3. What are the limitations of a static model of an accelerating structure?

A static model is only accurate for systems that are in a steady state and not undergoing any changes or accelerations. It also does not account for external factors such as air resistance or friction, which can significantly impact the behavior of an accelerating structure in real life. Therefore, a static model may not accurately predict the performance of a real accelerating structure.

4. How is a static model used in practical applications?

A static model can be used to estimate the behavior of an accelerating structure in a controlled and predictable environment. This can be useful in designing and testing prototypes, as well as in educational and research settings. However, it is important to keep in mind the limitations of a static model and not rely solely on its predictions in real-life scenarios.

5. How does a static model relate to other types of models used for accelerating structures?

A static model is one type of model used for accelerating structures. Other types include dynamic models, which account for changes and accelerations in the structure, and numerical models, which use computational methods to simulate the behavior of the structure. Each type of model has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of which to use depends on the specific application and goals of the study.