Modeling a peristaltic roller pump

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of mathematical modeling of a blood roller pump, specifically optimizing the number of rollers, roller diameter, and tube diameter. The individual asking the question is seeking help understanding the physics behind a blood roller pump and what formulas would be useful in modeling it. They mention their current formula for flow, but express uncertainty about how it would behave in semi-occluded states. The responder suggests factoring in input and output pressure for semi-occluded states and mentions that medical peristaltic pumps typically rely on full occlusion for accurate metering. They also note that the design of a high-flow pump for cardiac bypass operations may differ from one for IV infusions.
Oppogo
Hello!
We were recently introduced to mathematical modeling.
I would want to model a blood roller pump - a simple peristaltic pump. I was wondering, what kind of formulas there are that I can use to model a pump which optimizes the number of rollers, roller diameter, tube diameter etc. Naturally I would have to constrain these parameters, the problem is I don't know what kind of formulas I would use. Any help behind the physics of a blood roller pump would be appreciated!

he019g02.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Oppogo said:
Hello!
We were recently introduced to mathematical modeling.
I would want to model a blood roller pump - a simple peristaltic pump. I was wondering, what kind of formulas there are that I can use to model a pump which optimizes the number of rollers, roller diameter, tube diameter etc. Naturally I would have to constrain these parameters, the problem is I don't know what kind of formulas I would use. Any help behind the physics of a blood roller pump would be appreciated!

View attachment 116889
Welcome to the PF.

What have you found in your reading about this so far? I can think of at least s few parameters that would go into optimizing a peristaltic pump like this. Can you tell us a few that you have been considering so far?

Also, a nice feature of some peristaltic pumps for IVs and blood transport have built-in bubble detection. Have you seen how those typically work? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What have you found in your reading about this so far? I can think of at least s few parameters that would go into optimizing a peristaltic pump like this. Can you tell us a few that you have been considering so far?

I wasn't thinking anything too complicated.
What I want to test is how to optimize the flow (I would want to achieve the highest flow while retaining constant output pressure)
Taken that I place my 'rollers' a certain distance from the center of roller head and the tube I would like to examine how by changing roller diameter the flow would change. I expect the flow to be the best when the tube gets completely occluded but I would also love to see how it behaves in semi-occluded states. Same would be for the tube diameter. If the length of the tube would remain constant, the higher the inner diameter - the higher the flow. These parameters (roller, tube diameter, rpm etc. in can create different combinations but I want to find out formulas to from which to derive the connection between these parameters).

The formula I have so far is Q=π*r2*l*rpm
where Q would be flow, r - inner diameter of the tube, l - contact length with the rollers (half of a circle)
What this formula doesn't give me is how flow would behave in semioccluded state. How would i go to find this?

Oppogo said:
I wasn't thinking anything too complicated.
What I want to test is how to optimize the flow (I would want to achieve the highest flow while retaining constant output pressure)
Taken that I place my 'rollers' a certain distance from the center of roller head and the tube I would like to examine how by changing roller diameter the flow would change. I expect the flow to be the best when the tube gets completely occluded but I would also love to see how it behaves in semi-occluded states. Same would be for the tube diameter. If the length of the tube would remain constant, the higher the inner diameter - the higher the flow. These parameters (roller, tube diameter, rpm etc. in can create different combinations but I want to find out formulas to from which to derive the connection between these parameters).

The formula I have so far is Q=π*r2*l*rpm
where Q would be flow, r - inner diameter of the tube, l - contact length with the rollers (half of a circle)
What this formula doesn't give me is how flow would behave in semioccluded state. How would i go to find this?
For semi-occluded, you would need to factor in the input pressure and output pressure, I believe. But AFAIK, all medical peristaltic pumps rely on full occlusion. Otherwise their metering function would not work, and that is extremely important in medical applications. Also, the design of a high-flow pump for cardiac bypass operations will likely be different from what you use for IV infusions, right? Are you modeling both of those applications?

berkeman said:
For semi-occluded, you would need to factor in the input pressure and output pressure, I believe. But AFAIK, all medical peristaltic pumps rely on full occlusion. Otherwise their metering function would not work, and that is extremely important in medical applications. Also, the design of a high-flow pump for cardiac bypass operations will likely be different from what you use for IV infusions, right? Are you modeling both of those applications?

I was thinking of doing IV infusions. We are expected to model the process and calculate for the optimal solutions. That is exactly why I need to figure out or find a formula for semi-occluded tubes as well (to visualize in graphs that semi-occluding a tube isn't the most optima route) however I can not find the formulas I'm looking for anywhere.

Edit: Could also simplify, not accounting for input pressure, only trying to maintain a constant exit by changing required variables

Oppogo said:
I was thinking of doing IV infusions. We are expected to model the process and calculate for the optimal solutions. That is exactly why I need to figure out or find a formula for semi-occluded tubes as well (to visualize in graphs that semi-occluding a tube isn't the most optima route) however I can not find the formulas I'm looking for anywhere.

Edit: Could also simplify, not accounting for input pressure, only trying to maintain a constant exit by changing required variables
A semi-occluded tube in an IV infusion pump would be disaster. You need to be able to precisely meter the flow. The pressure can vary slightly as each roller let's go at the output side of the pump -- that's no big deal medically.

berkeman said:
A semi-occluded tube in an IV infusion pump would be disaster. You need to be able to precisely meter the flow. The pressure can vary slightly as each roller let's go at the output side of the pump -- that's no big deal medically.

Isn't the flow calculable from formulas though? If not looking at the IV example, If I would want the best flow with almost constant exit pressure, could that be described with a formula for a semi-occluded state? Hemodialysis as an example?
I may be mixing flow and pressure up.
But the assignment is to model constant output pressure. If I constraint the maximum flow (some naturally occurring value), I need to know the best variables to achieve this flow. Semi-constrained will obviously not be the best, however I need to look into it regardless.

redypump01_24.jpg

Oppogo said:
Isn't the flow calculable from formulas though?
I don't think so. It would depend on how high the IV pole is set (with the IV bag hung from the top as usual), and the height of the patient with respect to the IV bag and the pump. And it would depend on how full the IV bag was (and thus the height of the surface of the IV fluid in the bag).
Oppogo said:
But the assignment is to model constant output pressure.
To get almost constant pressure out of a peristaltic pump, you will need to use other than a constant angular velocity for the pump shaft. Can you say what you may have to do to mitigate the slight pulsing that you get at the output of a traditional peristaltic pump that uses a constant shaft rotation speed?

You might also clarify this with your instructor. AFAIK, normal medical peristaltic pumps use a constant output shaft rotation rate, set by the IV flow rate. They probably use microstepper motors anyway, so you will always get small pulses as a result of each microstep.

Related to Modeling a peristaltic roller pump

1. What is a peristaltic roller pump and how does it work?

A peristaltic roller pump is a type of positive displacement pump used to move fluids through a series of rollers that compress and release a flexible tube. As the rollers compress the tube, it creates a vacuum that draws fluid into the tube. When the rollers release, the tube returns to its original shape and pushes the fluid out of the pump.

2. What are the advantages of using a peristaltic roller pump?

Some advantages of using a peristaltic roller pump include its ability to handle a wide range of fluids, including viscous and abrasive materials, without damaging them. It also has a gentle pumping action, making it suitable for delicate fluids and shear-sensitive substances. Additionally, peristaltic pumps are self-priming and have no valves, making them low maintenance and easy to clean.

3. What are the applications of a peristaltic roller pump?

Peristaltic roller pumps are commonly used in medical and laboratory settings for processes such as dialysis, blood circulation, and sample transfer. They are also used in industrial and manufacturing settings for processes such as chemical dosing, ink and paint dispensing, and food and beverage production. Peristaltic pumps are also used in research and development for accurate and precise fluid delivery.

4. How do you model a peristaltic roller pump?

To model a peristaltic roller pump, you need to consider the design and geometry of the pump, the fluid properties, and the operating conditions. This can be done using mathematical equations and computer simulations to predict the pump's performance and optimize its design. Physical prototypes can also be tested to validate the model's predictions.

5. What are the challenges in modeling a peristaltic roller pump?

One of the main challenges in modeling a peristaltic roller pump is accurately capturing the complex fluid dynamics and interactions between the rollers and the flexible tube. This requires advanced mathematical models and simulations, as well as experimental validation. Another challenge is accounting for variations in tube materials and properties, which can affect the pump's performance. Additionally, modeling a peristaltic pump for different applications may require adjusting the model and parameters to fit the specific use case.