Modeling a Heat Source with the 2D Heat Equation

In summary, the person is trying to use the 2D heat equation with numerical finite difference methods and MATLAB to model the temperature changes on a perfectly insulated rectangular plate. They are having trouble deciding on how to model a point heat source at the center of the plate and some people have suggested using the Dirac delta function. However, the person is concerned about the difficulty of solving the PDE with this function and suggests using a constant heat source in all points of the plate instead. Another person explains that the Dirac delta function actually makes solving the PDE easier and suggests implementing it as a source in a single node. They also mention that an analytic series solution is possible using the spatial eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator. The original person
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

So I have a perfectly insulated rectangular plate and I trying to use the 2D heat equation in conjunction with numerical finite diference methods and MATLAB to see how the temperature changes throughout the plate. My issue is with the heat source. I am supposed to decide on how to model this heat source. I have chosen it to be at the centre as a point heat source. Now I'm not sure how to set my Q value in the heat equation to mimic this point source? Apparently some people say I need to multiply by the dirac delta function but I feel that would make solving the PDE much harder.

I thought maybe I could set Q =0 and make an intiail conditions that sets the temperature at the centre, but didn't make much sense.

If I choose a constant Q, it would mean that this Q exists at all points in the plate. Any ideas on what I should do? How do I choose Q to mimic this point source?

Homework Equations

61a521f537.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 61a521f537.png
    61a521f537.png
    2 KB · Views: 266
Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420 said:
Apparently some people say I need to multiply by the dirac delta function but I feel that would make solving the PDE much harder.
On the contrary, this would make the PDE much easier to solve. In fact, it is so much easier to work with delta functions that the entire idea behind using Green's functions is to first find the solution to the PDE when the inhomogeneity is a delta function and then making a superposition (you have likely already encountered this in relation to electric fields - the full field being the sum of all contributions). Besides, if what you really want to do is to model a point source, then you must use a delta function. The source distribution ##\kappa(\vec x)## has the property that
$$
\int_V \kappa(\vec x) \, dV
$$
is the heat produced in the volume ##V## per unit of time. Now, a point source at ##\vec x_0## is a source such that
$$
\int_V \kappa(\vec x) \, dV = \begin{cases} Q, & \vec x_0 \in V \\ 0, & \vec x_0 \notin V\end{cases}
$$
This is exactly what defines (##Q## times) the delta distribution ##\delta^{(3)}(\vec x - \vec x_0)##.

That being said, you will have problems implementing a delta function in a numerical finite element approach. If your elements are small enough, you can make a reasonable approximation by making the element that the point belongs to have a constant heat production within it.

Orodruin said:
On the contrary, this would make the PDE much easier to solve. In fact, it is so much easier to work with delta functions that the entire idea behind using Green's functions is to first find the solution to the PDE when the inhomogeneity is a delta function and then making a superposition (you have likely already encountered this in relation to electric fields - the full field being the sum of all contributions). Besides, if what you really want to do is to model a point source, then you must use a delta function. The source distribution ##\kappa(\vec x)## has the property that
$$
\int_V \kappa(\vec x) \, dV
$$
is the heat produced in the volume ##V## per unit of time. Now, a point source at ##\vec x_0## is a source such that
$$
\int_V \kappa(\vec x) \, dV = \begin{cases} Q, & \vec x_0 \in V \\ 0, & \vec x_0 \notin V\end{cases}
$$
This is exactly what defines (##Q## times) the delta distribution ##\delta^{(3)}(\vec x - \vec x_0)##.

That being said, you will have problems implementing a delta function in a numerical finite element approach. If your elements are small enough, you can make a reasonable approximation by making the element that the point belongs to have a constant heat production within it.

Ah. I see. I'm planning on using the Crank-Nicholson method to solve the PDE. Do you have any suggestions on how I could actually convert that PDE(well the Q*diracDelta part) into a difference equation? I'm planning on using MATLAB.

If you have to solve it numerically, you can most likely introduce it as a source in a single node. Be careful to get the normalisation correctly. Note that you can easily get an analytic series solution in terms of the spatial eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator.

Related to Modeling a Heat Source with the 2D Heat Equation

1. What is the 2D Heat Equation?

The 2D Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of heat over a two-dimensional region. It takes into account factors such as the initial temperature distribution, the material properties, and the heat sources within the region.

2. How is a heat source modeled with the 2D Heat Equation?

A heat source is typically represented as a function in the equation, with the specific form of the function dependent on the type of heat source. For example, a point heat source would be represented by a delta function, while a distributed heat source would be represented by a Gaussian function.

3. What are the boundary conditions for solving the 2D Heat Equation?

The boundary conditions for the 2D Heat Equation include the initial temperature distribution, as well as the temperature at the boundaries of the region. These boundary conditions are necessary for solving the equation and obtaining a solution that accurately reflects the physical system being modeled.

4. What methods are used to solve the 2D Heat Equation?

There are various numerical methods that can be used to solve the 2D Heat Equation, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem being solved and the desired level of accuracy.

5. How is the accuracy of the solution to the 2D Heat Equation evaluated?

The accuracy of the solution can be evaluated by comparing it to analytical solutions, if available, or by using convergence analysis to assess the error of the numerical solution. Additionally, the solution should be checked for physical reasonableness and compared to experimental data, if possible.