Model the forces as constant over a short interval of time

In summary: I don't have any idea to make it right.In summary, the figure shows a worker poling a boat across a shallow lake with a force of 225 N while the water exerts a drag force of 47.5 N. The boat, including its cargo and worker, has a mass of 360 kg. Using this information, the magnitude of the buoyant force is 3.34e3 N and the velocity of the boat 0.400 s after the given moment is 0.9292 m/s. However, when submitting this answer, it may show a message saying it is within 10% of the correct value due to possible roundoff error. To minimize this error, it is recommended to
shiri
The figure below shows a worker poling a boat-a very efficient mode of transportation-across a shallow lake. He pushes parallel to the length of the light pole, exerting on the bottom of the lake a force of 225 N. Assume the pole lies in the vertical plane containing the boat's keel. At one moment, the pole makes an angle of 30.0° with the vertical and the water exerts a horizontal drag force of 47.5 N on the boat, opposite to its forward velocity of magnitude 0.857 m/s. The mass of the boat including its cargo and the worker is 360 kg.

(a) The water exerts a buoyant force vertically upward on the boat. Find the magnitude of this force.

(b) Model the forces as constant over a short interval of time to find the velocity of the boat 0.400 s after the moment described.
I got the answer for (a), 3.34e3 N. I calculate:
[Force of gravity] = [mass][gravity] = [360kg][9.81m/s^2] = 3531.6 N
[Normal force] = [Force exerted on bottom of the lake]*cos30 = 225N*cos30 = 194.9 N
[Magnitude of the force] = [Force of gravity]-[Normal force] = 3531.6 N-194.9 N = 3337N
But I couldn't find the answer for (b) What I got so far is to calculate the:

(Net force) = (Horizontal drag force) + [(Force exerted on the bottom of the lake)*(cos
60)] = -47.5N + (225*cos 60) = 65.0N

then find accerleration, a

a = F/m = 65.0N/360kg = 0.180556m/s^2

then find v(0.400)

v = at = 0.180556m/s^2 * 0.400s = 0.07222m/s

then add both velocities

0.007222m/s + 0.857m/s = 0.9292m/s = 9.29e-1m/s

and I don't understand why it's a wrong answer. Can you figure out why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shiri said:
But I couldn't find the answer for (b) What I got so far is to calculate the:

(Net force) = (Horizontal drag force) + [(Force exerted on the bottom of the lake)*(cos
70)] = -47.5N + (225*cos 70) = 29.4545N
Why cos(70)? You want the horizontal component of the pole force.

Doc Al said:
Why cos(70)? You want the horizontal component of the pole force.

yes, I want the horizontal component of the pole force

But where did the 70 degrees come from? The only angle given was 30 degrees.

Doc Al said:
But where did the 70 degrees come from? The only angle given was 30 degrees.

oh...my bad...the angle given is 30 degrees and to look for the horizontal component should be 60 degrees. sorry

***i recalculate on the first reply of this topic

Last edited:
Good. That's better.

Your revised speed looks OK to me. Why do you say its wrong?

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
Good. That's better.

Your revised speed looks OK to me. Why do you say its wrong?

well when I submit the answer, 9.29e-1, it comes out like this

"Your answer is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error."

but I never rounded any values while I'm calculating. So I was wondering did I do calculations right or it is completely wrong?

I don't see anything wrong with your method or calculation. I get the same numbers. (Sometimes those online systems can be flaky.)

Doc Al said:
I don't see anything wrong with your method or calculation. I get the same numbers. (Sometimes those online systems can be flaky.)

So even your own work and calculations come out with a same answer?

Yes.

Doc Al said:
Yes.

Do you know any way to make this question correct so it doesn't show up this reason below:

"Your answer is within 10% of the correct value. This may be due to roundoff error, or you could have a mistake in your calculation. Carry out all intermediate results to at least four-digit accuracy to minimize roundoff error."

I only got two submissions left

Related to Model the forces as constant over a short interval of time

What does it mean to "model the forces as constant over a short interval of time"?

Modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time means that for a specific time period, the forces acting on a system or object are assumed to remain the same. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the forces and their effects on the object.

Why is it important to model the forces as constant over a short interval of time?

Modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time allows for simplification of complex systems and makes it easier to calculate the effects of the forces on the object. It also allows for more accurate predictions and analysis of the object's motion.

What are some examples of systems where modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time is useful?

Modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time is useful in many systems, such as projectiles, pendulums, and simple machines. It can also be applied to larger systems, such as cars or airplanes, to analyze their motion and forces acting on them.

How can the forces be modeled as constant over a short interval of time?

The forces can be modeled as constant over a short interval of time by assuming that they do not change during that time period. This can be done by breaking the time period into smaller intervals and calculating the forces for each interval, or by using the average force for the entire time period.

Are there any limitations to modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time?

Yes, there are limitations to modeling the forces as constant over a short interval of time. This approach may not accurately capture the effects of changing forces, such as friction or air resistance, over longer periods of time. It is important to take these factors into account for a more precise analysis of the system.