Model Rocket Help: Achieve a Glide for Contest

In summary, Dave is trying to build a model rocket for a contest and has been unsuccessful in achieving a glide. He has considered wings but they have not worked well. He has also considered a parachute but that is not allowed. He has come up with a solution which is to use wings which fold out.
Eliott b 12
I am trying to build a model rocket for a contest. It goes up as a rocket but comes down as a glider. Vertical takeoff. Does not jettison any parts. Should glide down in large slow graceful circles. Judged based on total hang time. I have been able to avoid a outright nose dive by putting the cp really close behind the cg, but haven't achieved a glide. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wings? ;)

Yes they are an option. I used a long flat balsa wood wing but the wood snapped a short distance from the body during liftoff

If you're looking to have it glide, wings are not an "option"; they are mandatory.

(Well, I suppose alternately you could have a parachute.)

parachute not allowed

How do you expect to achieve any glide if you are still considering wings as optional?

To expand on what Dave said (which is certainly true) can you see a way to arrange wings so that they don't snap off at liftoff but DO have an effect on the way down? I see one immediate solution that I believe could be made to work

You can launch whit rocket something like this (rocket propelled UAV) dependent on rockets useful payload mass:
AIR_UAV_Skylark-I-LE_from_Below_lg.jpg

Alternatively you can use servos ,larger wings and remote controller to control flight
9b0413cc14dff51eacf87811b35456a9.jpg

elementHTTP said:
You can launch whit rocket something like this (rocket propelled UAV) dependent on rockets useful payload mass:
Violates the condition of vertical takeoff.
Alternatively you can use servos ,larger wings and remote controller to control flight
Violates the condition of coming back like a glider.

I realize you are being creative here, but you are not answering the question as asked. I have taken the requirements as being part of the problem to be solved.

Can you design it so that the wings will fold up and deploy when the rocket is falling? I know that some rockets deploy a parachute with a small detonation, so maybe you can use that to forcibly deploy some wings.

timthereaper said:
Can you design it so that the wings will fold up and deploy when the rocket is falling? I know that some rockets deploy a parachute with a small detonation, so maybe you can use that to forcibly deploy some wings.
This is what I was trying to lead the OP to (the deployment, although not quite your method), rather than spoon-feeding him the solution, since spoon-feeding is frowned on here on PF.

phinds said:
This is what I was trying to lead the OP to (the deployment, although not quite your method), rather than spoon-feeding him the solution, since spoon-feeding is frowned on here on PF.

Sorry @phinds! I didn't catch what you were trying to do. I guess subtlety isn't my strong suit. I figured the real challenge would be to design the vehicle for a long hang time, not in coming up with mechanisms for deployment. To me, ideas are a dime a dozen, but implementation is going to be where Eliott will really have to stretch and think.

timthereaper said:
Sorry @phinds! I didn't catch what you were trying to do. I guess subtlety isn't my strong suit. I figured the real challenge would be to design the vehicle for a long hang time, not in coming up with mechanisms for deployment. To me, ideas are a dime a dozen, but implementation is going to be where Eliott will really have to stretch and think.
Yeah, I sometimes get carried away too by my interest in a problem and coming up with a solution and forget that we're here to help folks figure out how to do that for themselves. I often have to bite my tongue, so to speak, so I know where you're coming from. And yes, you're right that implementation will be non-trivial but you DO have to figure out first just what it is that you want to implement and that's what I wanted to lead him to.

Phinds- next I will try having them make shorter, and I guess tapered.
Dave- I meant they are allowed
Time- it's not allowed to change shape significantly

Eliott b 12 said:
Phinds- next I will try having them make shorter, and I guess tapered.
Dave- I meant they are allowed
Time- it's not allowed to change shape significantly
Hm ... not sure that will do the job. I had in mind a variation on the reaper's suggestion ... wings that are unobtrusive at liftoff but spread out at apogee

Aileron allowed ?

Eliott b 12 said:
not allowed to change shape significantly
What is this? Something from a BOMARC missile design competition from the 50s? Hit the library for old "Jane's" and start looking at Snark, Matador, Bomarc, designs.

Wings which fold out sounds like a good idea. Could also use swept wings as the stabilizers during launch configuration. Once at max altitude the swept wings could fold out (like on the F-14) into a more or less glider configuration. You will need a second set of stabilizers behind the main wing though for flight stability.

Well, since I let the cat out of the bag, here's a US military adaptation of this kind of rocket/plane:

-- watch 46:08-46:50
-- for a more promotional video,

You could do something along these lines.

Related to Model Rocket Help: Achieve a Glide for Contest

1. How can I improve the glide of my model rocket for a contest?

To improve the glide of your model rocket for a contest, you can try adjusting the weight and balance of the rocket, using a more aerodynamic shape, and ensuring that the fins are properly aligned. You can also experiment with different types of fins and materials to find the best combination for optimal glide.

2. What is the ideal glide ratio for a model rocket in a contest?

The ideal glide ratio for a model rocket in a contest can vary, but generally, a glide ratio of 3:1 or higher is considered good. This means that for every 3 feet the rocket travels horizontally, it will descend 1 foot vertically.

3. How can I calculate the glide ratio of my model rocket?

The glide ratio of a model rocket can be calculated by measuring the horizontal distance traveled by the rocket and dividing it by the vertical distance descended. For example, if your rocket traveled 30 feet horizontally and descended 10 feet vertically, the glide ratio would be 3:1.

4. Are there any regulations or restrictions on the design of a model rocket for a contest?

Yes, there may be regulations or restrictions on the design of a model rocket for a contest, depending on the specific rules of the contest. These may include limitations on the size, weight, and materials used for the rocket, as well as safety guidelines. It is important to carefully review the rules and regulations before designing your rocket.

5. Can I use electronic components to improve the glide of my model rocket?

Yes, electronic components such as altimeters, servos, and gyroscopes can be used to improve the glide of a model rocket. These components can help control the rocket's movement and adjust the fins for optimal glide. However, it is important to make sure that these components comply with any regulations set by the contest and do not add excessive weight to the rocket.