Model of intrinsic semiconductor behaviour

In summary, the conversation discusses a practical that was done to verify the non-classical model of silicon conductivity and calculate the band gap energy of silicon. The main equation used was R=Ro*exp(To/T), where To=Eg/2kB and kB is the Boltzmann constant and Eg is the band gap energy. It is mentioned that this equation only works in the intrinsic region. The speaker is looking for other physical interpretations of the data and asks for suggestions of books or websites that may have a better model for semiconductor conductivity. The formula \sigma=q\cdot \mu \cdot n is suggested, with q representing electric charge, \mu representing mobility, and n representing free carrier concentration. It is noted that the free carrier
jclough

Homework Statement

This isn't a problem as such. This is about a practical I did, to verify the non-classical model of silicon conductivity (which increases with temperature) and then to calculate the band gap energy of silicon.

Homework Equations

This was the main equation of the model we were verifying...
R=Ro*exp(To/T)

where To=Eg/2kB

kB = Boltzmann constant
Eg = band gap energy

Of course this only works in the intrinsic region.

I'm trying to think of other physical interpretations of the data for a certain section of the report and I was wondering if anybody knew where I could find a better model of semiconductor conductivity, perhaps a book or a website. That is, if there is a better model. I don't know if the model is the accepted one, as I haven't been taught about the topic!

Thanks,
Jessica.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello, hope it is not too late for your practical

you could consider following formula for the conductivity [itex] \sigma[/itex]:

[itex] \sigma=q\cdot \mu \cdot n [/itex]

with
  • [itex] q: [/itex] electric charge
  • [itex] \mu: [/itex] mobility
  • [itex] n: [/itex] free carrier concentration

the free carrier concetration depends mainly exponentially on temperature (there are some minor deviations, which are usually neglected). The mobility of carriers usually decreases with increasing temperature in an intrinsic semiconductor , thus the Ro in the equation you have been given, isn't actually constant

I do not know your background, but I think virtually any general book on semiconductor physics or physics of semiconductor devices could help you further. A very nice link is

http://www.tf.uni-kiel.de/matwis/amat/semi_en/index.html"

good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

The model you used in your experiment is known as the intrinsic semiconductor model, which explains the behavior of semiconductors at their purest form without any impurities or doping. This model shows that the conductivity of a semiconductor increases with temperature, which is contrary to the behavior of metals. This is due to the increase in the number of electrons that are thermally excited from the valence band to the conduction band.

There are other models that describe the behavior of semiconductors, such as the extrinsic semiconductor model that takes into account the effect of impurities on the conductivity. This model is commonly used in practical applications of semiconductors, such as in electronic devices.

If you are interested in learning more about semiconductor models, I would recommend consulting textbooks or online resources on solid state physics or semiconductor physics. These sources will provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of the different models and their applications.

Additionally, you can also consult with your instructor or a more experienced scientist in the field for guidance on selecting the most appropriate model for your experiment and data analysis. It is always important to critically evaluate and compare different models to ensure the accuracy and validity of your results.

Related to Model of intrinsic semiconductor behaviour

1. What is an intrinsic semiconductor?

An intrinsic semiconductor is a material that has a completely filled valence band and an empty conduction band at absolute zero temperature. This means that it has equal numbers of positively charged holes and negatively charged electrons, making it electrically neutral.

2. What is the difference between an intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductor?

An intrinsic semiconductor is a pure material, while an extrinsic semiconductor has impurities intentionally added to alter its electrical properties. Intrinsic semiconductors have fewer free charge carriers and are less conductive compared to extrinsic semiconductors.

3. How does the band gap affect the conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor?

The band gap is the energy difference between the valence and conduction band. In an intrinsic semiconductor, the smaller the band gap, the more easily electrons can be excited to the conduction band, increasing its conductivity. A larger band gap means fewer available electrons for conduction, resulting in lower conductivity.

4. What is the temperature dependence of an intrinsic semiconductor's conductivity?

The conductivity of an intrinsic semiconductor increases with increasing temperature, as more electrons are excited to the conduction band. However, at very high temperatures, thermal energy can break the covalent bonds, creating more free charge carriers and decreasing the material's resistivity.

5. How does doping affect the behaviour of an intrinsic semiconductor?

Doping is the process of introducing impurities into a semiconductor. In an intrinsic semiconductor, doping can alter its electrical properties by increasing the number of available charge carriers. Doping with a donor impurity (e.g. Phosphorus) adds extra electrons, making the semiconductor more conductive, while doping with an acceptor impurity (e.g. Boron) creates holes, making it less conductive.