Modal amplitudes of circular plate

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation discusses a final year acoustics student in the UK who is attempting to model the modal response of a circular plate for their thesis. They are struggling with expanding and factorising the biharmonic laplacian and have already spent a significant amount of time on it. The summary also suggests reaching out to their supervisor or other experts for guidance and support in solving the problem.
trimboone
Hi all,

I'm a final year acoustics student in the UK attempting to model the modal response of a circular plate as part of my thesis.

Essentially, i have this equation :

4WUuZ.jpg

and I am trying to deal with the left term of the LHS.

7qHK8.jpg

I'm trying to find out whether the full version of the biharmonic laplacian Jm(..)cos(..) can be expanded and factorised to be in terms of Jm(..) x cos(..) x (everythingelse!) as i am trying to solve the above equation for Amn

In this form my theory will work but the actual derivation of the biharmonic laplacian using trigonometric functions and bessel functions together is killing me, I've already wasted a good 2 weeks trying this!

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

First of all, congratulations on reaching the final year of your studies and taking on such a challenging topic for your thesis. The modal response of a circular plate is a complex and important area of study in acoustics, and it's great to see that you are tackling it head on.

In regards to your question about expanding and factorising the biharmonic laplacian, I can understand the frustration you are facing. This is a common problem faced by many researchers in the field, and it is not surprising that it has taken up a significant amount of your time.

I would suggest reaching out to your supervisor or other experts in the field for guidance and support. They may have valuable insights or resources that could help you in your derivation. Additionally, you could also consider consulting with other researchers or joining online forums to discuss your problem and potentially get some helpful advice.

In any case, it is important to remember that research and problem-solving can be a slow and challenging process, but the satisfaction of finding a solution is worth the effort. Keep persevering and don't hesitate to seek help when needed.

Best of luck with your thesis!

Related to Modal amplitudes of circular plate

1. What are modal amplitudes of circular plate?

Modal amplitudes of circular plate refer to the amplitudes of vibration at different modes of resonance in a circular plate. These modes of resonance are determined by the geometry and material properties of the plate.

2. How are modal amplitudes of circular plate calculated?

The modal amplitudes of circular plate can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the dimensions, material properties, and boundary conditions of the plate. These calculations involve solving for the natural frequencies and mode shapes of the plate.

3. What factors affect the modal amplitudes of circular plate?

The modal amplitudes of circular plate are influenced by various factors such as the thickness, diameter, and material properties of the plate. Other factors include the boundary conditions, excitation frequency, and damping in the system.

4. How do modal amplitudes of circular plate affect the performance of a structure?

The modal amplitudes of circular plate play a crucial role in determining the dynamic response of a structure. A high modal amplitude at a specific mode of resonance can lead to excessive vibrations and potential failure of the structure. Therefore, it is important to consider and control these amplitudes in the design process.

5. Can the modal amplitudes of circular plate be altered?

Yes, the modal amplitudes of circular plate can be altered by changing the material properties, dimensions, and boundary conditions of the plate. This can be achieved through design modifications or adding damping elements to the system. Additionally, controlling the excitation frequency can also affect the modal amplitudes.