Mobius transformation (isomorphism)

In summary, M, the class of mobius transformations, is isomorphic to GL2/Diag, which is isomorphic to SL2/Id. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between mobius transformations and matrices of the form [ka kb] [kc kd], where k is a non-zero complex number. This is because we treat matrices of the form [k 0] [0 k] as the identity matrix and we only consider matrices with non-zero determinants. This is similar to modulo arithmetic, but with matrix multiplication as the operation. This statement is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of mobius transformations and their corresponding matrices.
lavster
Im having difficulty understanding this satement - can someone please explain it to me...

let M be the class of mobius transformations

M is isomorphic to GL2/Diag isomorphic to SL2/Id, where GL2 is the group of non-degenerate matrices of size 2 x 2 with complex entries, SL2 = A in GL2 : detA = 1, Diag is the group of non-zero diagonal 2 x 2 matrices and Id is the identity.

I know what a mobius transform is and that the matrix of its coefficients cannot be zero, i know that isomorphism = one to one correspondence... but i don't understand this statement at all - why are we exclusing the diagonal matrices... surely we should be excluding the matrices with det 0?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
actually (my memory is a bit foggy on these) i think that M is isomorphic to GL2(C)/(CI), where the matrices in CI are of the form:

[k 0]
[0 k], for some non-zero complex number, k.

we're not "excluding" the matrices kI, we're treating them as if they all were the identity matrix. if m =

[a b]
[c d] represents the mobius transformation f(z) = (az+b)/(cz+d), then m' =

[ka kb]
[kc kd] represents the transformation g(z) = (kaz+kb)/(kcz+kd) = k(az+b)/(k(cz+d)) = f(z), the same transformation as f.

so we need to take the matrices m "mod a scalar".

Last edited:
Deveno said:
actually (my memory is a bit foggy on these) i think that M is isomorphic to GL2(C)/(CI), where the matrices in CI are of the form:

[k 0]
[0 k], for some non-zero complex number, k.

we're not "excluding" the matrices kI, we're treating them as if they all were the identity matrix. if m =

[a b]
[c d] represents the mobius transformation f(z) = (az+b)/(cz+d), then m' =

[ka kb]
[kc kd] represents the transformation g(z) = (kaz+kb)/(kcz+kd) = k(az+b)/(k(cz+d)) = f(z), the same transformation as f.

so we need to take the matrices m "mod a scalar".

how do you know we are treating them as the identity matrix? i thought eg R/{0} meant all the real numbers excluding zero, so why is it different here? and what does "mod a scalar" mean? mod = modulo arithmetic? (Im not very good at this kind of thing - it confuses me!)

GL2(C) is the general linear group of degree 2 (2x2 invertible matrices), over the field C.

in a group like GL2(C), you ignore the additive structure, and deal just with the multiplication. to have a group structure, every element must have an inverse (this is the same as requiring that ad - bc is non-zero in the 2x2 case).

the technical term for GL2(C)/(CI) is a "quotient" group. this is like modulo arithmetic, but more general. with integers, we say that a ≡ b (mod n) if a - b = kn, for some integer k. here, the operation is "+" (we can write a - b as a+(-b)).

with matrix multiplication, we have a different operation, under this operation the inverse of B is B-1, and the parallel of a - b is AB-1.

now the set of all integer kn (multiples of n) form what is called a subgroup of the integers (any sum of multiples of n is a multiple of n, and the additive inverse of a multiple of n is also a multiple of n. also, 0, the additive identity, is a multiple of n,0 = 0n). so the condition: a - b = kn, is really the condition a - b is in the subgroup nZ. this has the effect of setting all multiples of n congruent to 0, all numbers of the form n+1 congruent to 1, etc.

by direct analogy, the matrices kI, form a multiplicative group:

(kI)(k'I) = (kk')I

I = 1I,

(kI)-1 = (1/k)I

we can use this to define an equivalence of matrices: A ~ B if AB-1 = kI.

this means that we are regarding A and B as "the same" if they differ by just a scalar multiple. this is what is meant by "mod a scalar", we are treating kA =(kI)A, the same as A.

this is a similar notation as A\B = {x in A, but not in B}, so A\{0} means {the non-zero elements of A}, but the meaning is entirely different.

the meaning of the statement that M is isomorphic to GL2(C)/(CI), is just that there is a 1-1
correspondence between the transformations f(z) = (az+b)/(cz+d) and matrices of the form:

[ka kb]
[kc kd] , k non-zero in C, ad-bc non-zero.

by multiplying a matrix

[a b]
[c d] (with ad-bc non-zero) by 1/(ad-bc) (to which it is equivalent, since 1/(ad-bc) is a scalar) we obtain a matrix of determinant 1, which is what SL2(C) is, the invertible matrices of determinant 1 (this is another "subgroup" of GL2(C)).

Ah... perfect! thanks so much! :)

Related to Mobius transformation (isomorphism)

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation, also known as a linear fractional transformation, is a mathematical function that maps points on the complex plane to other points on the complex plane. It is represented by the formula f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is a point on the complex plane.

2. What is the geometric interpretation of a Mobius transformation?

The geometric interpretation of a Mobius transformation is that it is a transformation of the complex plane that preserves angles and circles. This means that if a circle is mapped to another circle, the angles between tangent lines at the points of intersection will remain the same after the transformation.

3. How is a Mobius transformation an isomorphism?

A Mobius transformation is an isomorphism because it is a bijective function, meaning it has a one-to-one correspondence between the points of the domain and the points of the range. This means that every point on the complex plane has a unique image under the transformation, and every point on the transformed plane has a unique preimage on the original plane.

4. What is the inverse of a Mobius transformation?

The inverse of a Mobius transformation is another Mobius transformation that undoes the original transformation. It is represented by the formula f^-1(z) = (dz - b) / (-cz + a), where a, b, c, and d are the same complex numbers used in the original transformation. The composition of a Mobius transformation and its inverse is the identity function.

5. How are Mobius transformations used in mathematics?

Mobius transformations have many applications in mathematics, including complex analysis, differential geometry, and topology. They are also used in computer graphics, physics, and engineering. In particular, Mobius transformations are useful for studying conformal maps, which are transformations that preserve angles but not necessarily distances.