Mobius strip computing unit normal field at 2 points

In summary, the question is asking to compute the unit normal field for N1 and N2 at the points (0,1,0) and (0,-1,0) on the parametrization of the mobius band given by F(s,t) = (cos(t)+s*cos(t)*cos(t/2), sin(t)+s*sin(t)*cos(t/2), s*sin(t/2)). This can be done by taking the derivatives of F with respect to s and t to find the tangent vectors, and then substituting the given points into the cross product formula N(t) = (dF/ds X dF/dt)/ ||dF/ds X dF/dt|| to find the unit
joeyjokester

Homework Statement

I am given this parametrization of the mobius band:
F(s,t) = (cos(t)+s*cos(t)*cos(t/2), sin(t)+s*sin(t)*cos(t/2), s*sin(t/2))
Let F1 be F restricted to (0,2*pi) X (-1,1).
Let F2 be F restricted to (-pi,pi) X (-1,1).
let N1 be the unit normal field determined by F1
let N2 be the unit normal field determined by F2

The question reads:
Compute the unit normal field for N1, N2 at the points (0,1,0) and (0,-1,0).

Homework Equations

N(t) = (dF/ds X dF/dt)/ ||dF/ds X dF/dt||

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to begin on this. I am looking for a starting block. Obviously I want to plug in the point before taking cross products? How do I do this when F(s,t) takes 2 parameters, but I am given a point of the form (x,y,z). This is troublesome. I have computed the partials dF/ds and dF/dt, but I don't know what to do with them.. I don't want to take this nasty cross product.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
take the derivatives to find the tangent vectors aligned with each parameter

then substitute in the given values & calculate the cross products, shoudln;t be too messy after substitution

That is exactly my question. How do I substitute in the given values?

you'll need to determine s & t for the given points first, to do that consider what would lead to the terms being zero

Related to Mobius strip computing unit normal field at 2 points

1. What is a Mobius strip computing unit normal field?

A Mobius strip computing unit normal field is a mathematical concept that describes the orientation of a surface at any given point. It is a vector that is perpendicular to the surface and points in the direction of the surface's outward normal.

2. How is the unit normal field calculated on a Mobius strip?

The unit normal field on a Mobius strip is calculated using the cross product of the two tangent vectors at a given point on the strip. The resulting vector is then normalized to obtain the unit normal field.

3. What are the properties of the unit normal field on a Mobius strip?

The unit normal field on a Mobius strip has the unique property of being continuous and non-orientable. This means that it has no defined 'top' or 'bottom' and can be traversed continuously without ever reaching an edge or boundary.

4. Can the unit normal field on a Mobius strip change at different points?

Yes, the unit normal field on a Mobius strip can change at different points. This is because the orientation of the surface changes at different points, resulting in a different unit normal vector being calculated.

5. How is the unit normal field at two points on a Mobius strip related?

The unit normal field at two points on a Mobius strip is related through the concept of parallel transport. This means that the unit normal vector at one point can be transported to another point along the surface without changing its direction, resulting in a continuous field.