Mobility of couples in academia

In summary, the chances of a couple obtaining two permanent academic positions in the same place are difficult, but not impossible. Many "academic couples" exist, with both partners having tenure in their respective departments or nearby schools. However, with the decline of long-term soft money positions, it may become increasingly challenging. Some individuals have avoided this issue by securing their own tenure-track position before becoming part of a "serious couple." Overall, it is possible to find two permanent academic positions in the same location, but it may require patience and persistence.
cestyx
Hello,

I would like to know what are the chances of a couple getting two permanent academic positions in the same place, since it seems so hard to get a tenure track position? Have you ever tried (and succeeded?) in finding a position in the same city as your wife/husband, and what do people do when they don't find any?
My question holds with both persons looking for an academic position, but also if only one of them is in this case and the other has got a permanent job : were you ever in this situation and what is your experience about it?

Thanks

Edit : I should probably have posted in "Career guidance", if a moderator can move the thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sure it isn't easy to do, but it definitely is possible. I know quite a few 'academic couples'. A few of the professors in my department are married to professors either in the department or at a nearby school. They all have tenure and some of them are fairly young (PhD < 15 years ago).

This is possible, but it is very difficult and probably getting more difficult. If the probability of getting a faculty job is epsilon, the probability of getting two is epsilon squared.

In the past, one option was that the leading spouse would get a faculty position, and the trailing spouse would get a soft-money position on someone's grant. Long-term soft money positions are drying up, though, and some difficult situations lie ahead.

I avoided that problem by not becoming part of a "serious couple" until after I got a tenure-track position, with pretty good prospects of getting tenure. She already had tenure here, in another department/field. A few years after we got married, I got tenure myself.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I have observed that the mobility of couples in academia can vary greatly depending on individual circumstances and the current job market. It can certainly be challenging for both partners to secure permanent academic positions in the same location, especially in competitive fields where tenure track positions are limited. However, it is not impossible and many couples have successfully navigated this situation.

I personally have not been in this exact situation, but I have colleagues and friends who have. In some cases, they were able to find positions in the same city, either through networking or by applying to multiple institutions in the area. In other cases, one partner may have had to make sacrifices and take a position in a different location, while the other partner continued to search for a position in the same city. It can also be helpful to consider alternative academic careers or non-academic positions in the same location, if the primary goal is to be in the same city.

When one partner has a permanent job and the other is looking for an academic position, it can also be a challenging situation. In this case, it may be necessary for the job-seeking partner to consider opportunities in different locations, or for the working partner to make adjustments to their career to accommodate the other's job search. Again, alternative career paths may also be worth exploring in this situation.

Overall, the key to success in these situations is open communication, flexibility, and persistence. It may not always be easy, but with determination and a supportive partnership, it is possible for couples to find permanent academic positions in the same location. I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck in your own job search.

Related to Mobility of couples in academia

What is the definition of "mobility of couples in academia"?

The mobility of couples in academia refers to the movement or relocation of both partners in a couple who are pursuing academic careers. This could include moving to a new university, city, or even country for job opportunities, research collaborations, or personal reasons.

What are some challenges faced by couples in academia when it comes to mobility?

One of the biggest challenges is finding job opportunities for both partners in the same geographic location. This can be especially difficult if one partner has a more specialized field or if the desired location has limited academic institutions. Another challenge is balancing personal and professional goals, as one partner may have to sacrifice their career opportunities for the sake of the other partner's job.

How does mobility of couples in academia affect their career progression?

The constant relocation can disrupt the career progression of both partners, as they may have to start over in a new institution or network. This can also impact their ability to establish a strong research portfolio, which is crucial for academic advancement. Additionally, the time and energy spent on moving and adjusting to a new environment can take away from their research and academic work.

What are some strategies that couples in academia can use to navigate mobility?

One strategy is to prioritize and communicate with each other about their career goals and aspirations. This can help them make decisions that benefit both partners and minimize sacrifices. Utilizing virtual collaborations and networking can also help maintain professional connections and opportunities despite physical distance. Couples can also seek out academic institutions that have policies and resources in place to support dual-career couples.

What are some potential benefits of mobility for couples in academia?

Mobility can bring new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth. It can also expand their network and research collaborations, leading to potential advancements in their academic careers. In some cases, one partner's job opportunities may also open doors for the other partner, creating a mutually beneficial situation. Lastly, mobility can also expose couples to diverse cultures and perspectives, enriching their personal and academic lives.