Mixed Inhibition: Finding Ki & Ks Relation

In summary: Can these equilibrium constants be different?Between E and ES Ks=k-1/k1 Is it equal to k'-1/k'1=Ks' ?No.
Dassinia

Homework Statement

I have this mixed inhibition, and knowing that it is a thermodynamic cycle i am asked to find the relation between the different Ki and Ks.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t35.0-12/12699252_1024216030972374_1605707906_o.jpg?oh=8b60ba8c953ea368fe8fc09af6fe5eaa&oe=56C77997

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not even sure to understand the question...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:

Homework Statement

I have this mixed inhibition, and knowing that it is a thermodynamic cycle i am asked to find the relation between the different Ki and Ks.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t35.0-12/12699252_1024216030972374_1605707906_o.jpg?oh=8b60ba8c953ea368fe8fc09af6fe5eaa&oe=56C77997
2. Relevant equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not even sure to understand the question...

Look at the top line only. What is the equilibrium constant between E and ES?
Well okay since you say you don't understand the question Ks = [E][ S]/[ES] = ?

Now rub out to the arrows of the top line. Leave the others. What is the above-defined equilibrium constant equal to?

Can these equilibrium constants be different?

epenguin said:

Look at the top line only. What is the equilibrium constant between E and ES?
Well okay since you say you don't understand the question Ks = [E][ S]/[ES] = ?

Now rub out to the arrows of the top line. Leave the others. What is the above-defined equilibrium constant equal to?

Can these equilibrium constants be different?
Between E and ES Ks=k-1/k1 Is it equal to k'-1/k'1=Ks' ?

Dassinia said:
Between E and ES Ks=k-1/k1 Is it equal to k'-1/k'1=Ks' ?

In general no.

Rub out to the arrows of the top line. Leave the others. In fact just write out the scheme again without the k1, k-1 steps. Can't you work out what that gives you for [E][ S]/[ES] ?

Related to Mixed Inhibition: Finding Ki & Ks Relation

1. What is mixed inhibition and why is it important in enzyme kinetics?

Mixed inhibition is a type of enzyme inhibition where the inhibitor binds to both the enzyme and the enzyme-substrate complex. It is important because it affects the rate of the reaction and can give insight into the enzyme's mechanism of action.

2. How is Ki determined in mixed inhibition?

Ki, also known as the dissociation constant for the inhibitor, is determined by measuring the reaction rate at different inhibitor concentrations and plotting it on a graph. The x-intercept of this graph is equal to the -Ki value.

3. What is the relationship between Ki and Ks in mixed inhibition?

Ki and Ks, also known as the dissociation constants for the inhibitor and substrate, respectively, are related by the equation: Ki = Ks(1 + [I]/Ks). This equation shows that Ki is dependent on both Ks and the concentration of the inhibitor.

4. How does mixed inhibition differ from competitive and non-competitive inhibition?

In competitive inhibition, the inhibitor only binds to the enzyme, while in non-competitive inhibition, the inhibitor can bind to both the enzyme and the enzyme-substrate complex. Mixed inhibition combines elements of both competitive and non-competitive inhibition.

5. What are the applications of studying mixed inhibition in enzyme kinetics?

Studying mixed inhibition can provide valuable information about the mechanism of action of enzymes. It can also help in the development of drugs that target specific enzymes and in understanding the effects of different compounds on enzyme activity.