MIT Ph.D. Program Admission: Is an M.S. Required or Optional?

In summary: The trend that I've noticed is that Canadian universities will generally admit to an MSc program, then, a candidate may request to transfer directly into a PhD program. Candidates directly admitted to PhD programs usually already have a master's degree.
Newtime
So apparently MIT has no M.S. program in math. I got this directly off their site: http://math.mit.edu/academics/grad/admission/. My question, then, is would it be appropriate (or reasonable) to apply for the Ph.D. program without going for an M.S. first? By the time I get my B.S., I will have completed 30-36 hours of graduate coursework anyway, hopefully with all A's, so for all intents and purposes I would have a Masters. Is this done, or is it assumed that the applicant will have a masters already?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many people who want a Ph.D. apply for a Ph.D. program after graduating with a Bachelor's

Usually, a Masters program is similar to the first few years of a Ph.D. program anyways

If you really want an M.S., some schools offer you a Masters while you're a Ph.D. student (once you complete the Masters part).

Newtime said:
My question, then, is would it be appropriate (or reasonable) to apply for the Ph.D. program without going for an M.S. first?

As their site says:

MIT said:
Do I need a master's degree before applying?

No, a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) is required.

Are you from Canada, by any chance? Unlike in Canada, which requires you to get a Master's before applying to a Ph.D. program, science departments in the U.S. generally don't give out terminal masters degrees and just admit to the Ph.D. program directly.

Vanadium 50 said:
As their site says:

Wow...I'm asking a question about MIT admissions and I couldn't even read the rest of the page...thanks for the answer though, and the other replies as well.

Mute said:
Are you from Canada, by any chance? Unlike in Canada, which requires you to get a Master's before applying to a Ph.D. program, science departments in the U.S. generally don't give out terminal masters degrees and just admit to the Ph.D. program directly.
Really?! I was under the impression it's the same as in the US, meaning you can go for the PhD right after a BSc (preferably an Honours degree, though).

Mute said:

Where did you get that from? I think the U.K. is like that, not Canada.

flyingpig said:
Where did you get that from? I think the U.K. is like that, not Canada.

I got that from doing my undergraduate degree in Canada. In science at least you must apply to the M.Sc. first. You may be able to transfer after the first year of your program but generally no one gets admitted directly to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree.

e.g., from http://physics.sfu.ca/teaching/grad/info_for_applicants/faq

Q: Can I apply to your PhD program without completing an MSc program?

A: No. Our post-graduate education system in Canada is different than that of the US. Students with a bachelor's degree are admitted into the MSc program. This is the standard in Canada. MSc students take courses the first two semesters, allowing themselves time to familiarize themselves with the Department before selecting a supervisor. After a year in the program, MSc students may apply to transfer directly to the PhD program. The requirements are that you have a 3.67 grade point average, over 15 credits hours of coursework, and that you have your supervisor's support for the transfer.

Mute said:
I got that from doing my undergraduate degree in Canada. In science at least you must apply to the M.Sc. first. You may be able to transfer after the first year of your program but generally no one gets admitted directly to the Ph.D. program without a master's degree.

e.g., from http://physics.sfu.ca/teaching/grad/info_for_applicants/faq
Hmm, it seems some Canadian universities require a M.Sc., while others don't. I've looked at a couple of webpages, and a lot of them DO seem to require the Master's, but not UofT, U of Victoria, etc., for example.

But I guess funding is very much comparable to when doing a PhD, isn't it? Or is it only the PhD programmes that are normally being funded, whereas you have to pay for the M.Sc.?

Ryker said:
Hmm, it seems some Canadian universities require a M.Sc., while others don't. I've looked at a couple of webpages, and a lot of them DO seem to require the Master's, but not UofT, U of Victoria, etc., for example.

But I guess funding is very much comparable to when doing a PhD, isn't it? Or is it only the PhD programmes that are normally being funded, whereas you have to pay for the M.Sc.?

The trend that I've noticed is that Canadian universities will generally admit to an MSc program, then, a candidate may request to transfer directly into a PhD program. Candidates directly admitted to PhD programs usually already have a master's degree. It depends on the school though. I think some programs still admit directly to the PhD program.

Canadian master's programs are generally funded in my experience.

So I guess it's more or less the same then as in US, with the difference being that in US you get admitted to a PhD, but can leave early with a MSc, whereas in Canada you get (usually) admitted to an MSc programme, but can switch or do a shorter PhD afterwards?

After looking at a couple of websites, I noticed funding for master's programmes is similar to PhD funding (TA, RA), is this really the case or have I just randomly stumbled upon such examples?

Related to MIT Ph.D. Program Admission: Is an M.S. Required or Optional?

1. What is the duration of the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S.?

The duration of the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S. varies depending on the field of study and individual progress. On average, it takes 5-6 years to complete the program.

2. What are the admission requirements for the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S.?

To be considered for the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S., applicants must have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, strong academic background, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, and a compelling statement of purpose.

3. Is it possible to work while pursuing the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S.?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S. However, it is recommended to limit work hours to part-time to allow for sufficient time and focus on coursework and research.

4. Can I transfer credits from my Bachelor's degree towards the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S.?

It is possible to transfer credits from a Bachelor's degree towards the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S., but this is subject to the approval of the department and the Graduate Program Committee. The transferred credits must also align with the program requirements.

5. What opportunities are available after completing the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S.?

After completing the MIT Ph.D. program after B.S., graduates have a variety of opportunities available to them. These include academic positions, research positions in various industries, and opportunities in government agencies and policy-making organizations.