Misunderstanding a Theorem on Field Homomorphism

In summary, the theorem states that there exists a field homomorphism from K[x] to L[x] satisfying the condition that if and only if the monomial of a field element over the field homomorphism is the minimal polynomial. The sufficiency of the condition is trivial to satisfy, and the author provides a proof that does not require the proof of the monomial's minimality.
Mandelbroth
Here's the theorem:

Suppose that ##K(\alpha):K## is a finite simple extension, ##\alpha## has minimal polynomial ##m_\alpha\in K[x]##, and ##\phi## is a homomorphism of fields from ##K## into ##L## (which the author extends to a homomorphism from ##K[x]## to ##L[x]##, also denoting it by ##\phi##), with ##\beta\in L##. Then, there exists a (necessarily unique) field homomorphism ##\tau: K(\alpha)\to L## satisfying ##\tau(\alpha)=\beta## and ##\tau|_K=\phi## if and only if ##\phi(m_\alpha)(\beta)=0##.

The author proceeds to prove the necessity of the condition, which is fairly trivial, and the sufficiency, which is less so, but there is (what I consider to be) the intuitive method of showing that ##\phi(m_\alpha)## is the minimal polynomial of ##\beta## over ##\phi(K)## (which is why I thought this way was obvious: it looked like the easiest way), and then proceeding by constructing the desired monomorphism from the isomorphism of ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)\cong \phi(K)[x]/(m_\beta)## via composition with the appropriate isomorphisms induced by the evaluation maps of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, which the author does.

For the sake of clarity, I'll demonstrate the full argument.

The necessity is satisfied trivially, since ##\phi(m_\alpha)(\beta)=\tau(m_\alpha(\alpha))=\tau(0)=0##.

Sufficiency is satisfied by the following reasoning. Again, we prove that ##m_\beta=\phi(m_\alpha)##, since ##\phi(m_\alpha)## is monic, irreducible, and has a root ##\beta##. Thus, ##(m_\alpha)## is the kernel of (what the author calls) ##q'\circ\tilde{\phi}: K[x]\to \phi(K)[x]\to\phi(K)[x]/(m_\beta)##. Thus, by the First Isomorphism Theorem, ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)\cong \phi(K)[x]/(m_\beta)##. Call this isomorphism ##\tilde{q}## and let ##i:\phi(K)(\beta)\to L## be the inclusion map, ##\tilde{E}_{\alpha}: K[x]/(m_\alpha)\to K(\alpha)## be the isomorphism from the evaluation map, and let ##\tilde{E}_{\beta}## be likewise. Then, clearly, we have the desired monomorphism by noting ##\tau=i\circ\tilde{E}_\beta\circ\tilde{q}\circ\tilde{E}_\alpha^{-1}##. (This is even more obvious if you look at a diagram of this, and I'll draw one if someone requires it.)

The author says there is a shorter proof that does not require us to prove ##\phi(m_\alpha)=m_\beta##. I've been looking at this for about 3 hours, but I don't think I see what he means.

Here's my best candidate for what he meant:

We can construct a homomorphism, which I'll call ##r##, from ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)## to ##K[x]## with kernel ##(m_\alpha)## by mapping each element of ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)## to its remainder when divided by ##m_\alpha##. Clearly, ##r## is injective. We also have injective ##\tilde\phi: K[x]\to\phi(K)[x]## and ##q': \phi(K)[x]\to \phi(K)[x]/(m_\beta)##. Thus, their composition ##q'\circ\tilde{\phi}\circ r## is an injective homomorphism of rings (and, indeed, of fields) from ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)## to ##\phi(K)[x]/(m_\beta)##. We can then call this composition ##\tilde{q}##.

Does that work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
We can construct a homomorphism, which I'll call ##r##, from ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)## to ##K[x]## with kernel ##(m_\alpha)## by mapping each element of ##K[x]/(m_\alpha)## to its remainder when divided by ##m_\alpha##.

It is not clear (IMO) that this is actually a homomorphism. As a rule of thumb defining maps from a quotient space into the original space should give you pause.

jgens said:
It is not clear (IMO) that this is actually a homomorphism. As a rule of thumb defining maps from a quotient space into the original space should give you pause.
Indeed, I was troubled by this when I constructed this argument. We have the following. Let ##\overline{p}=p+(m_\alpha)##, and likewise for the other elements.

$$r(\overline{p}+\overline{q})=p+q=r(\overline{p})+r(\overline{q}) \\ r(\overline{p}\,\overline{q})=r(\overline{pq})=pq=r(\overline{p})r( \overline{q}) \\ r(\overline{1})=1.$$

Thus, it is a homomorphism.

That the remainder of a sum/product is the sum/product of remainders reduced modulo the minimal polynomial (if true) requires an argument though. It is by no means obvious. The analogous statement for integers fails, for example, and I have serious doubts that it works in this case too.

Edit: Counterexamples to your claim abound. Let r:Q[x]/(x2-2)→Q[x] be defined as before and assume it is a homomorphism. Then the following computation holds 0 = r(x2-2) = r(x2)-r(2) = r(x)2-r(2) = x2-2 and we arrive at a contradiction.

Last edited:
jgens said:
That the remainder of a sum/product is the sum/product of remainders reduced modulo the minimal polynomial (if true) requires an argument though. It is by no means obvious. The analogous statement for integers fails, for example, and I have serious doubts that it works in this case too.
Oh. I've been considering this by taking the remainder before I do the products and sums. I didn't see that. Thank you. :bugeye:

Do you have any ideas for a shorter proof?

Happy New Year, by the way! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Mandelbroth said:
Do you have any ideas for a shorter proof?

There is an obvious K-algebra homomorphism K[x]→L to consider and one need only look at its kernel.

jgens said:
There is an obvious K-algebra homomorphism K[x]→L to consider and one need only look at its kernel.
Uhhh...I don't see it. :rolleyes:

Could I have another hint, please? I'm sorry for this. I really should be getting this.

The homomorphism takes elements of K into elements of L via φ and takes powers of x into powers of β.

Likes 1 person
jgens said:
The homomorphism takes elements of K into elements of L via φ and takes powers of x into powers of β.
Thank you. Let's see if I get this.

We have a homomorphism ##j: K[x]\to L## that satisfies ##j|_K=\phi## and takes ##x^n## to ##\beta^n##. Its kernel is clearly ##(m_\alpha)## because ##\phi(m_\alpha)(\beta)=0##, ##m_\alpha## is irreducible, and ##K[x]## is a PID. Thus, we create ##\tilde{j}: K[x]/(m_\alpha)\to L##. Thus, we note that ##\tau=\tilde{j}\circ\tilde{E}_\alpha^{-1}##, because ##\tau|_K=j|_K=\phi## and ##\tilde{j}\circ\tilde{E}_\alpha^{-1}(\alpha)=\tilde{j}(\overline{x})=\beta##.

Does that look right?

One further simplification: No need to determine the kernel precisely. Clearly mα is contained in the kernel, and therefore, so is the ideal it generates. This is enough to induce a map K[x]/(mα)→L.

jgens said:
One further simplification: No need to determine the kernel precisely. Clearly mα is contained in the kernel, and therefore, so is the ideal it generates. This is enough to induce a map K[x]/(mα)→L.
Indeed. Thank you very much! You've been very helpful.

Related to Misunderstanding a Theorem on Field Homomorphism

1. What is a field homomorphism?

A field homomorphism is a mathematical function that maps elements from one field to another. In other words, it preserves the algebraic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division between elements of the two fields.

2. What is the difference between a field homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A field homomorphism preserves only the algebraic operations between elements of two fields, while an isomorphism also preserves the structure and properties of the fields, such as the existence of multiplicative and additive identities.

3. Can a field homomorphism be surjective?

Yes, a field homomorphism can be surjective, meaning that every element in the target field has at least one corresponding element in the original field.

4. How can I prove that a function is a field homomorphism?

To prove that a function is a field homomorphism, you must show that it preserves the algebraic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This can be done by demonstrating that the function satisfies the necessary properties for each operation.

5. What are some real-world applications of field homomorphisms?

Field homomorphisms have various applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and mathematical physics. They are also used in abstract algebra to study the structure of fields and their relationships with other algebraic structures.