Mistakes in Kinematics Problem: A Lesson in Precision and Accuracy

In summary, The conversation is discussing errors in a physics problem, specifically with the time and velocity calculations. The mistakes include using the wrong time and not taking the square root in the final calculation. There is also a discussion about scientific notation and the importance of double checking for errors.
alingy1
Please look at pictures.

Why is it that they use 24 seconds for the time in b)? They get t=6.16s, why do they not plug that into the Dx equation to get 185m of x displacement?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 6.22.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 6.22.57 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 429
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 6.23.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 6.23.05 PM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
alingy1 said:
Please look at pictures.

Why is it that they use 24 seconds for the time in b)? They get t=6.16s, why do they not plug that into the Dx equation to get 185m of x displacement?
Looks like a mistake.

DocAl, is the speed also wrong in this problem? I think they made a mistake right at the end. They forgot to square root?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.09.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.09.07 PM.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 438
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.09.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.09.14 PM.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 442
alingy1 said:
DocAl, is the speed also wrong in this problem? I think they made a mistake right at the end. They forgot to square root?
You are right. They made a mistake.

What book are you using?

It's a bunch of review problems my teacher sent me "at our own risk."

But, since I'm not really an ace in physics, I try to confirm the mistakes as much as possible.

Another mistake spotted?

They made a mistake with the *10^4. Should be 10^3. Angles do not change (they are good).
The final velocity should be 12.07m/s, IE 43.45 km/h.

By the way, should we not express scientific notation with only numbers from 1 to 9? Why do they put 10.1 x 10^4 etc...?

I'll refer this page to my class. They'll be glad :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.42.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.42.13 PM.png
    41 KB · Views: 405
  • Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.42.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-18 at 7.42.39 PM.png
    14 KB · Views: 406
alingy1 said:
It's a bunch of review problems my teacher sent me "at our own risk."
I guess he didn't double check them for errors.

But, since I'm not really an ace in physics, I try to confirm the mistakes as much as possible.
Good idea. It's good practice.

alingy1 said:
Another mistake spotted?

They made a mistake with the *10^4. Should be 10^3. Angles do not change (they are good).
The final velocity should be 12.07m/s, IE 43.45 km/h.
Yes, another mistake.

By the way, should we not express scientific notation with only numbers from 1 to 9? Why do they put 10.1 x 10^4 etc...?
As long as they do it right, it doesn't really matter. (Though you are correct.) But that's their first mistake: The momentum values are off by a factor of ten: they have 29.2 x 10^4 instead of 2.92 x 10^4, etc.

I'll refer this page to my class. They'll be glad :)
Good!

Likes 1 person

Related to Mistakes in Kinematics Problem: A Lesson in Precision and Accuracy

What is a "Mistake Kinematics Problem"?

A "Mistake Kinematics Problem" is a term used in physics to describe a problem that involves mistakes or errors in the application of kinematics principles. This can occur when solving for the motion of an object, such as calculating its velocity or acceleration, and making incorrect assumptions or using incorrect equations.

What causes "Mistake Kinematics Problems"?

"Mistake Kinematics Problems" can be caused by a variety of factors, such as misunderstanding the kinematics principles, using incorrect formulas, or making errors in calculations. These mistakes can also be a result of not fully understanding the problem or not properly identifying the given information.

How can "Mistake Kinematics Problems" be avoided?

To avoid "Mistake Kinematics Problems", it is important to have a thorough understanding of the kinematics principles and formulas being used. Double-checking calculations and identifying all given information before solving the problem can also help prevent mistakes. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and seeking clarification when needed can also improve accuracy.

What are the consequences of making mistakes in kinematics problems?

Mistakes in kinematics problems can lead to incorrect solutions and a lack of understanding of the underlying concepts. This can result in incorrect predictions and interpretations of the motion of an object. In a scientific context, these mistakes can also lead to inaccurate experimental data and conclusions.

How can "Mistake Kinematics Problems" be corrected?

If a mistake is identified in a kinematics problem, it is important to retrace the steps and identify where the error was made. The problem can then be corrected by using the correct formulas and making accurate calculations. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or peer to address any misunderstandings.