Missing thing while solving physics problems

In summary: Arman777. In summary, solving physics problems requires practice and developing a passion for the subject. It is important to analyze problems conceptually first and then use math to find a solution. Visualizing problems can also be helpful. It is normal to forget things, but with practice and perseverance, it becomes easier to solve problems.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to solve some physics problems but sometimes I miss some stuff.Like in the logical part sometimes I forget to include some force or things like that.I am a freshman student.
Is it improve over time (to see the missing part that I couldn't see ) or ıt depends the question number that I solve ?

It may sound stupid question but its important for me

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Arman777,
It is normal to forget but in physics, try to develop passion for the subject. Also, once you start handling a problem, if you can derive formulas from first principles. If not, just keep your focus there so that you do not forget
Regards

Likes Arman777
Arman777 said:
I am trying to solve some physics problems but sometimes I miss some stuff.Like in the logical part sometimes I forget to include some force or things like that.I am a freshman student.
Is it improve over time (to see the missing part that I couldn't see ) or ıt depends the question number that I solve ?

It may sound stupid question but its important for me

Thank you

From "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 2nd Ed. by Mary Boas:

The only way to learn to solve problems is to solve problems.

It means that you have to practice, practice, and practice till (i) you learn from your mistakes and (ii) you get a feel for that type of problems.

There are no short cuts.

Zz.

Likes Dr. Courtney and jedishrfu
ZapperZ said:
From "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 2nd Ed. by Mary Boas:
It means that you have to practice, practice, and practice till (i) you learn from your mistakes and (ii) you get a feel for that type of problems.

There are no short cuts.

Zz.
Thanks , I see now...Then let's work

I like solving problems and studying physics.Just sometimes, as I said, I forget to add stuff and its annoying for me.

ZapperZ said:

There are no short cuts.

Zz.

Sometimes clicking the like button is not enough to emphasize an idea of essential importance. Gotta quote it and bold it.

Likes Vanadium 50
Dr. Courtney said:
Sometimes clicking the like button is not enough to emphasize an idea of essential importance. Gotta quote it and bold it.

I understand the idea.Thanks

First thing to do with a new problem is always to analyse it conceptually . Sums come later .

If you really understand how a system works then the maths needed to get an actual solution is generally much easier to formulate .

Try to develop a capability to visualise problems either in your mind or by doing sketches .

Nidum said:
First thing to do with a new problem is always to analyse it conceptually . Sums come later .

If you really understand how a system works then the maths needed to get an actual solution is generally much easier to formulate .

Try to develop a capability to visualise problems either in your mind or by doing sketches .

Yeah..In that first part.Sometimes I forget friction or some logical values ext..I have to do solve and analyse step by step I guess.Which that's the way how should it be done.In that case mostly I can solve the problems

Last edited:
Take heart anyway - a problem which is difficult to solve the first time becomes easy to solve the second time and positively boring the third time .

Nidum said:
Take heart anyway - a problem which is difficult to solve the first time becomes easy to solve the second time and positively boring the third time .
:smile::smile:

It was nice

Related to Missing thing while solving physics problems

1. What should I do if I am missing a variable in a physics problem?

If you are missing a variable in a physics problem, the first step is to carefully read the problem and identify all given information. Then, try to use equations and principles learned in class to solve for the missing variable. You can also look for similar problems in your textbook or ask your instructor for guidance.

2. How can I check if my answer is correct if I am missing a value?

If you are missing a value in a physics problem, you can check your answer by using estimation or approximation techniques. You can also try plugging in different values for the missing variable to see if your answer is consistent. If possible, you can also use a physics calculator or online tool to verify your solution.

3. Is it possible to solve a physics problem without all the given information?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to solve a physics problem without all the given information. In this case, you may need to make assumptions or use approximations to find a solution. However, it is important to clearly state your assumptions and limitations when presenting your solution.

4. What are some common mistakes when dealing with missing values in physics problems?

Some common mistakes when dealing with missing values in physics problems include using incorrect units, missing a negative sign, or making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and units to ensure accuracy. It can also be helpful to show your work and clearly label all variables to avoid mistakes.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when dealing with missing values?

To improve your problem-solving skills when dealing with missing values, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems and equations. You can also work on developing critical thinking and analytical skills to approach problems in a logical and systematic way. Seeking help from a tutor or instructor can also be beneficial in improving your problem-solving skills.