Missing Posts After June 10, 2013 on PF 4.0

• Thread starter milesyoung
  • Start date
In summary, there was a problem with the search feature on Physics Forums that made it difficult to find newer posts after June 10th, 2013. This problem affected multiple users and could not be solved manually. However, after a recent rebuild, the search feature is now able to find all posts, fixing the issue.
milesyoung
I wanted to look up an earlier post of mine for some details I included there and could have use of again, but, according to the search feature here, I seem to be missing all posts after June 10th, 2013 up until the switchover to PF 4.0.

I thought it might just be the search feature that needed some tweaking, but I can't seem to locate any manually either.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've noticed a similar problem here as well. When I did a search for my posts, the only items that came up were those that date back from July 1, 2013 and before. Curiously enough, when I checked some of my most recent threads, my posts are still there, but the Search feature doesn't pick them out.

milesyoung said:
I can't seem to locate any manually either

They are in the database, no doubt about it:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/infinitesimal-quantities.298086/

(not that I know how to find them as of now).

See how deep you can browse your post history going to MY PF > Your content. Please report here.

The search feature orders by "relevance" by default, not by date. And it only displays 199 hits. Maybe that's why you found it difficult to find them.

Fredrik said:
The search feature orders by "relevance" by default, not by date. And it only displays 199 hits. Maybe that's why you found it difficult to find them.
My search was ordered by 'Most Recent'.

Borek said:
See how deep you can browse your post history going to MY PF > Your content. Please report here.
I can find 336 posts in total, which doesn't match my post count.

The problem isn't finding older posts - it's the newer ones from after June 10th, 2013.

milesyoung said:
I can find 336 posts in total, which doesn't match my post count.

The problem isn't finding older posts - it's the newer ones from after June 10th, 2013.

Again, I have exactly the same problem with finding any newer posts of mine after July 1, 2013. It appears that somehow the Search function is unable to find any posts of mine or anyone else's after July 2013 (and I also ordered my search by "Most Recent").

Yep, @Greg Bernhardt - there is something strange going on. When I search for my old posts this is what I get: the newest ones and the older ones, without those between July 1st 2013 and last Thursday:

?temp_hash=ae3ac8c7f71c9e1cc323194c4d9b53e6.png

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 545
The search feature seems to be picking up everything again. Thank you :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Yep, looks like it is OK now :)

Related to Missing Posts After June 10, 2013 on PF 4.0

1. What caused the missing posts on PF 4.0 after June 10, 2013?

The missing posts on PF 4.0 after June 10, 2013 were caused by a major server crash. This resulted in the loss of data and posts from that specific time period.

2. Is there any way to recover the missing posts?

Unfortunately, due to the extent of the server crash, it is not possible to recover the missing posts from PF 4.0 after June 10, 2013.

3. Was the missing posts issue on PF 4.0 after June 10, 2013 a result of hacking?

No, the missing posts were not a result of hacking. It was purely a technical issue caused by the server crash.

4. How can we prevent such incidents from happening in the future?

To prevent similar incidents from happening in the future, we have implemented stronger backup systems and regularly monitor the servers for any potential issues.

5. Will there be any compensation for the loss of posts on PF 4.0 after June 10, 2013?

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the missing posts and understand the value of the discussions on PF 4.0. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any compensation for the loss of posts as it was an unforeseen technical issue.