Exploring the Possibilities of Hydrogen Atom as a Negative Ion: FAQs Answered

• Thread starter Zargawee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atom
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a hydrogen atom becoming a negative ion, the different orbits and transitions an electron can take, and the limitations based on energy and selection rules in quantum theory. The main takeaway is that there are multiple ways for an electron to reach the third orbit, but the easiest is to directly excite it from the first to the third.
Zargawee
Hello,
I Have Some Question ,
Is Hydrogene atom able to become a negative ion ?
Why not ?

Another question.

We have a stable Hydrogene atom , how many possibilities can we get when moving the electron to to the 3rd orbit ?
I Was thinking of unlimited possibilites , because we can can send the electron to any orbit and get see if it get back to the 3rd one ...
My teacher says that there's two solutions ,
the first says 1 ( if the energy is EXACTELY enough for the electon to move there , he will move , otehr wise , nothing happens )
the second says , 3 ( 1 successful try , and 2 faulty ones )

Thanks In adcance .

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, it's called a hydride ion, it's a very common chemical reagent.

I'm not sure what you mean about the third orbital. You can get there by exciting it from the 1st orbital to the 3rd directly, but yes, there are other ways.

I think your teacher was referring to the fact that the "3rd orbitals" are the 2s and 2p ones (2s is significantly lower-energy than 2p). There is just one 2s orbital (discounting spin), and three 2p orbitals. Various things call "selection rules" prohibit most transitions, so some of these (I don't remember which exactly) will not be allowed (because of things like angular momentum conservation.)

damgo , you just explained what I Know ...
at this point , I need to know more about this ... the gap still exsists .

Chemicalsuperfreak,
If the energy we gave to the elctron to excite him was not enough to send him to the third orbit , it won't go ... Quantum theory.

Originally posted by Zargawee
damgo , you just explained what I Know ...
at this point , I need to know more about this ... the gap still exsists .

Chemicalsuperfreak,
If the energy we gave to the elctron to excite him was not enough to send him to the third orbit , it won't go ... Quantum theory.

That's right. If you want to excite it to the third, you can give it just enough energy to go from 1st to 3rd, or you can excite it to the second, and then excite again to the third, or you can excite it past the third, to the 4th, 5th, etc. and let it relax back down to the 3rd. The easiest to do is just excite it to the third.

LOL. Thats it, I just got a great idea for a question in the 'Ask a stupid quetion' thread

1. What is a hydrogen atom as a negative ion?

A hydrogen atom as a negative ion is formed when a hydrogen atom gains an extra electron, giving it a net negative charge. This can occur in certain chemical reactions or in high-energy environments.

2. How is a hydrogen atom as a negative ion different from a regular hydrogen atom?

The main difference is the charge. A regular hydrogen atom has a neutral charge, while a hydrogen atom as a negative ion has a net negative charge. This affects its behavior in chemical reactions and its interactions with other particles.

3. What are the applications of hydrogen atoms as negative ions?

Hydrogen atoms as negative ions have potential applications in fields such as energy storage, fuel cells, and plasma physics. They are also important in understanding the behavior of atoms in extreme environments, such as in stars and other celestial bodies.

4. Can a hydrogen atom be a negative ion in nature?

Yes, there are natural occurrences of hydrogen atoms as negative ions, such as in the Earth's upper atmosphere and in certain types of lightning. However, they are not as common as other ions like oxygen or nitrogen due to the high reactivity of hydrogen atoms.

5. How are scientists exploring the possibilities of hydrogen atoms as negative ions?

Scientists are using various techniques, such as spectroscopy and computer simulations, to study the behavior and properties of hydrogen atoms as negative ions in different environments. They are also conducting experiments to understand their potential applications and to create new materials using hydrogen atoms as negative ions.