Minkowski metric - to sperical coordinates transformation

In summary: Gamma_{uvw} = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{v} g_{uw} + \partial_{w} g_{vu} - \partial_{u} g_{vw})In summary, to transform cartesian coordinates to spherical ones for Minkowski metric, we can use the spherical form of the metric and compute the connection coefficients \Gamma_{uvw} using the formula \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{v} g_{uw} + \partial_{w} g_{vu} - \partial_{u} g_{vw}). This involves using the chain rule and the symmetry of the Christoffel symbol Tab=Tba. The resulting Christoffel symbols may have values
soi
I need to transform cartesian coordinates to spherical ones for Minkowski metric.
Taking:
(x0, x1, x2, x3) = (t, r, α, β)

And than write down all Christoffel symbols for it.

I really have no clue, but from other examples I've seen i should use chain rule in first and symmetry of Christoffel symbol Tab=Tba

Physics news on Phys.org
soi said:
I need to transform cartesian coordinates to spherical ones for Minkowski metric.
Taking:
(x0, x1, x2, x3) = (t, r, α, β)

And than write down all Christoffel symbols for it.

I really have no clue, but from other examples I've seen i should use chain rule in first and symmetry of Christoffel symbol Tab=Tba

The spherical form of the Minkowsky metric is just

[itex]ds^{2} = c^2 dt^2 - dr^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 - r^2 sin^2(\theta) d\phi^2[/itex]

So the metric components are
[itex]g_{tt} = c^2[/itex]
[itex]g_{rr} = -1[/itex]
[itex]g_{\theta\theta} = -r^2[/itex]
[itex]g_{\phi\phi} = -r^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex]

The connection coefficients [itex]\Gamma_{uvw}[/itex] are computed in terms of the metric components via:

[itex]\Gamma_{uvw} = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{v} g_{uw} + \partial_{w} g_{vu} - \partial_{u} g_{vw})[/itex]

OK, great thanks for your help.

To look if I understand it, i calculated it using formula
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/f/f/d/ffdb897152259f912ad9c4d5ab3d474d.png

And i got what you got (not surprisingly) but with -1 everywhere:

gtt=-1
grr=1
gθθ=r^2
gββ=r^2(sinθ)^2

And Christoffel symbols (nonzoro, numering metric matrix from 0 to 3):
T221=1/r
T122=-r
T331=1/r
T332=1/2(rsinθ)^2
T133=-r (sinθ)^2
T233=(sin2θ)/2

Is it okay?

Related to Minkowski metric - to sperical coordinates transformation

1. What is the Minkowski metric?

The Minkowski metric is a mathematical tool used in the study of special relativity. It is a measure of the distance between two events in spacetime, taking into account both space and time dimensions.

2. How is the Minkowski metric calculated?

The Minkowski metric is calculated using the formula: ds^2 = -c^2dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, where ds is the distance in spacetime, c is the speed of light, and dt, dx, dy, and dz are the differences in time and space coordinates between two events.

3. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radius, an angle measured from the positive z-axis, and an angle measured from the positive x-axis in the xy-plane.

4. How do you transform from Minkowski metric to spherical coordinates?

To transform from Minkowski metric to spherical coordinates, you can use the following equations: x = rsinθcosφ, y = rsinθsinφ, z = rcosθ, and t = ict, where r is the radius, θ and φ are the angles, and t is the time coordinate in the Minkowski metric.

5. What is the significance of the Minkowski metric to spherical coordinates transformation?

The transformation from Minkowski metric to spherical coordinates allows for a better understanding of the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It also allows for the calculation of distances and intervals in a curved spacetime, which is important in understanding the effects of gravity.