Minimum wavelength of phonons under the Debye aproximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum phonon wavelength using the Debye approximation. The value for Debye frequency is given as 3.2*10^13 rad/s, but the calculation using the defined equation gives a higher value of 5.9 Å. There is confusion about the use of the cubic lattice in the calculation and the possibility of an error in the given solution. It is suggested to directly ask the professor for clarification.
AngelFis93
Homework Statement
It's stated on an example problem that under Debye aproximation on a monoatomic cubic lattice of lattice constant a= 3.7 Å, sound speed v=3000 m/s (in both longitudinal and transverse directions) and Debye frequency ω=3.2·10^(13) rad/s, to find the minimum phonon wavelength. They give you the solution λ=4.27 Å .
Relevant Equations
λ=v/f
Since in Debye aproximation Debye's frecuency is defined as the maximum frecueny , the corresponding wavelenght should be the minimum one, due to the inverse relation among those

λ=v/f=v·2π/ω=5.9 Å , which is higher than the given result.

I believe I should be using the information 'cubic lattice' somehow ,but can't see it.Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It a bit strange.
Problem is over-defined. You do not need Debye frequency here because it is calculable from lattice parameter and sound speed. Actually as i calculate Debye approximation using equation
ω/(2*pi)=(Cs/2a)*[(9/(4*pi))^(1/3)]
, ω for 3.7 Å lattice should be 2.277*10^13
Higher value of 3.2*10^13 will actually give wavelength 4.19 Å.

Last edited:
AngelFis93 said:
Homework Statement:: It's stated on an example problem that under Debye aproximation on a monoatomic cubic lattice of lattice constant a= 3.7 Å, sound speed v=3000 m/s (in both longitudinal and transverse directions) and Debye frequency ω=3.2·10^(13) rad/s, to find the minimum phonon wavelength. They give you the solution λ=4.27 Å .
Homework Equations:: λ=v/f

Since in Debye aproximation Debye's frecuency is defined as the maximum frecueny , the corresponding wavelenght should be the minimum one, due to the inverse relation among those

λ=v/f=v·2π/ω=5.9 Å , which is higher than the given result.

I believe I should be using the information 'cubic lattice' somehow ,but can't see it.Thanks.
Is the intention of the example to show you where the Debye approximation breaks down? Because, the minimum wavelength is actually ##2a## because of the Nyquist theorem (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonon#Lattice_waves).

You should try to take the value of ##2a## and divide by the factor you get from taking the body diagonal of a cube. You will get the answer you posted, which to me seems wrong.

Dr_Nate said:
Is the intention of the example to show you where the Debye approximation breaks down?
I don't think so, at least there isn't anything in the statement that makes me think that way.
Dr_Nate said:
You should try to take the value of 2a2a and divide by the factor you get from taking the body diagonal of a cube. You will get the answer you posted, which to me seems wrong.
I came to the same conclusion, a·2/√3 gives the exact solution, I just can't find in the theory were it's justified why it is calculated this way. A mistake in the solution could be posible aswell, so i probably ask the proffesor directly.

Thanks for the reply

trurle said:
It a bit strange.
Problem is over-defined. You do not need Debye frequency here because it is calculable from lattice parameter and sound speed. Actually as i calculate Debye approximation using equation
ω/(2*pi)=(Cs/2a)*[(9/(4*pi))^(1/3)]
, ω for 3.7 Å lattice should be 2.277*10^13
Higher value of 3.2*10^13 will actually give wavelength 4.19 Å.

I get 3.2 ·10^(13) rad/s using ω =v·k=v·a^(-1)(6π^2)^(1/3) for ω,k on Debyes aproximation (a^(-1) for being a cubic lattice, and using the definition of Debye's k).

Thanks for the reply.

Related to Minimum wavelength of phonons under the Debye aproximation

1. What is the Debye approximation?

The Debye approximation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of phonons, which are quantized lattice vibrations in a solid material. It assumes that all phonons have the same energy and that the number of phonons decreases as the energy increases, with a cutoff energy known as the Debye energy.

2. How is the minimum wavelength of phonons calculated under the Debye approximation?

The minimum wavelength of phonons is calculated by dividing the speed of sound in the material by the Debye frequency, which is the inverse of the Debye energy. This gives the maximum wavelength of phonons in the material, and the minimum wavelength is half of this value.

3. What factors affect the minimum wavelength of phonons?

The minimum wavelength of phonons is affected by the speed of sound in the material, which is dependent on the material's properties such as density and elasticity. It is also affected by the Debye frequency, which is influenced by the material's atomic structure and temperature.

4. How does the minimum wavelength of phonons relate to temperature?

The minimum wavelength of phonons decreases as temperature increases, following the trend of the Debye frequency. This is because at higher temperatures, more phonons are present with higher energies, resulting in a lower cutoff energy and shorter minimum wavelength.

5. What is the significance of the minimum wavelength of phonons under the Debye approximation?

The minimum wavelength of phonons is an important concept in understanding the behavior of phonons in solids. It helps to determine the maximum wavelength of phonons and can be used to calculate other properties such as thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity. It also provides insights into the atomic structure and dynamics of materials.