Minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum velocity increment required to transfer a GEO spacecraft from its current orbit to an equatorial orbit. The spacecraft has a true anomaly of 30 degrees, an eccentricity of 0.1, and an initial inclination of 5 degrees with respect to the equator. Using the conservation of energy approach may not be helpful as even a small plane change maneuver can be expensive in terms of delta-v. One approach is to compute the velocity and then use the equation for a pure plane change from an elliptical orbit. Alternatively, the lecture slides provided may also be useful for solving the problem.
orbitsnerd

Homework Statement

A GEO spacecraft crosses the earth’s equatorial
plane when its true anomaly is 30 deg. The
eccentricity of the orbit is 0.1 and its initial
inclination is 5 deg with respect to the equator.
What minimum velocity increment is required to
transfer this GEO to an equatorial orbit?

Homework Equations

e=.1
theta=30 degrees
i=5 degrees
cos E=e+cos(theta)/1+e*cos(theta)
deltav=2*v*sin(i/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. I am thinking I begin with the equations above. I think it is a plane transfer but not sure how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of energy.

What is the energy of the spacecraft in is original (tilted) orbit? What would be its energy if it were in an equatorial orbit?

gabbagabbahey said:
Use conservation of energy.

What is the energy of the spacecraft in is original (tilted) orbit? What would be its energy if it were in an equatorial orbit?
Conservation of energy is not going to help here. Even a small plane change maneuver can be fairly expensive delta-v wise, and ideally there will be no change in orbital energy. For example, the International Space Station's orbit has a 51.6 degree inclination because plane change maneuvers are expensive. A 51.6 degree inclination is the lowest inclination orbit into which vehicles launched from Baikonur can be placed. (Baikonur is at 45.6 degrees latitude, so vehicles could launch into a 45.6 degree orbit from there. However, that would result in spent first stages dropping on China. A 45.6 degree inclination is the lower limit imposed by physics. Politics adds a 6 degree surtax.)

orbitsnerd said:

Homework Equations

e=.1
theta=30 degrees
i=5 degrees
cos E=e+cos(theta)/1+e*cos(theta)
deltav=2*v*sin(i/2)
When can you perform a plane change? For an elliptical orbit, which of the choices requires the least delta-v?

From the last of the relevant equations, you obviously you need to compute the velocity. How do you compute that?

BTW, that last equation is not quite right. That is the equation for a pure plane change from a circular orbit. What is the equation for a pure plane change from an elliptical orbit?

Note: I am assuming you are to do a pure plane change in this problem -- that is, you are to keep the satellite in geosynchronous orbit. It is a tad cheaper to simply cancel the z component of velocity at the right time, but that will result in a non-geosynchronous orbit.

These lecture slides might be of use. Start at slide 34.
http://web.nps.navy.mil/~ssweb/AA4362/week8/wk8_lecture2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer

1. What is the minimum velocity required for a GEO orbit transfer?

The minimum velocity required for a GEO orbit transfer is approximately 10.9 km/s. This is the speed needed to overcome Earth's gravity and reach the altitude of a GEO orbit, which is about 35,786 kilometers above the Earth's surface.

2. How is the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer calculated?

The minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer is calculated using the vis-viva equation, which takes into account the mass of the spacecraft, the mass of the Earth, and the distance between the spacecraft and the Earth's center of mass. It is also affected by atmospheric drag and other gravitational forces.

3. Why is the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer important?

The minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer is important because it determines the amount of energy and fuel required for a spacecraft to reach and maintain a GEO orbit. If the spacecraft does not reach the minimum velocity, it may not be able to achieve a stable orbit and could potentially fall back to Earth.

4. Can the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer be achieved using a single rocket launch?

Yes, the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer can be achieved using a single rocket launch. However, it may also require multiple stages and rocket burns to reach the required velocity and altitude. Additionally, the spacecraft may need to use its own propulsion system to fine-tune its orbit once it reaches the desired altitude.

5. Is the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer the same for all spacecraft?

No, the minimum velocity for GEO orbit transfer can vary depending on the mass and design of the spacecraft, as well as external factors such as atmospheric conditions and gravitational influences from other celestial bodies. It is important for spacecraft engineers to carefully calculate and plan for the specific minimum velocity needed for their particular mission.