Minimum value of logarithmic equation

In summary, the problem asks for the minimum possible value of 2 log_{2}x-log_{x}(0.01). Greater the value of x, greater is the value of expression. However, when differentiated, the derivative becomes zero and therefore the answer cannot be found.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

For x>1, find the minimum possible value of [tex]2 log_{2}x-log_{x}(0.01)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Greater the value of x, greater is the value of expression. Right?
I tried to differentiate it, but it was no help. The derivative becomes zero when |log x|=[tex]\sqrt{log 2}[/tex]

Help me further.

Physics news on Phys.org

What did you get when you differentiate it?

Defennder said:
What did you get when you differentiate it?

Why do you ask that? Is it wrong?
I got:
2*(1/x ln 2)-2*(1/log^{2} x)*(1/(x ln 10))

Well, apparently I can't tell if it's correct unless I know your working. I can't read what you wrote that. Is it [tex]\frac{2 \ln x}{\ln 2} - \frac{2}{\log_2 x} \left( \frac{1}{x \ln 10} \right) [/tex].

If so then I don't think it's correct.

Defennder said:
Well, apparently I can't tell if it's correct unless I know your working. I can't read what you wrote that. Is it [tex]\frac{2 \ln x}{\ln 2} - \frac{2}{\log_2 x} \left( \frac{1}{x \ln 10} \right) [/tex].

If so then I don't think it's correct.

[tex]\frac{2}{x ln 2}-\frac{2}{(log^{2} x)*(x ln 10)}[/tex]

This problem sets a similar trap to that of another problem you asked about. It would make life easier if you rewrote the [tex]log_{x}(0.01)[/tex] term as a log-base-2 term first, so you could combine it with the first term...

(You could grind through the differentiation you have, but it is a rather cumbersome "hammer" to use on the problem.)

I got:
[tex]\frac{2}{x ln 2}-\frac{2 ln 10}{x ln^2 x}[/tex]
for the derivative.
I set it equal to zero, cross multiplied and came up with:

[tex]ln^2x=ln 10 ln 2[/tex]

Dunno if that helps...your derivative was different than mine.
CC

Last edited:

rewriting:
[tex]2log_{2}x+\frac{2(1+log_{2}5)}{log_{2}x}[/tex]

Take the square root of both sides, ignore the absolute value bars, because for x>1 the thing is positive, then take the exponential of both sides. I got x=3.53722...
plug that back into get the y value.
CC

Last edited:

Related to Minimum value of logarithmic equation

1. What is the minimum value of a logarithmic equation?

The minimum value of a logarithmic equation depends on the base of the logarithm. For a logarithm with a base greater than 1, the minimum value is 0. For a logarithm with a base between 0 and 1, the minimum value is negative infinity.

2. How can you determine the minimum value of a logarithmic equation algebraically?

To determine the minimum value of a logarithmic equation algebraically, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can use the concept of limits to evaluate the minimum value as the input approaches negative infinity.

3. Can a logarithmic equation have a minimum value of 0?

Yes, a logarithmic equation can have a minimum value of 0 if the base of the logarithm is greater than 1. In this case, the logarithm would equal 0 when the input is 1.

4. How does the minimum value of a logarithmic equation change when the base is increased?

As the base of a logarithmic equation increases, the minimum value also increases. This is because the logarithm of any positive number is always greater than or equal to 0, so a larger base will result in a larger minimum value.

5. Is there a way to graph a logarithmic equation and determine its minimum value visually?

Yes, you can graph a logarithmic equation and determine its minimum value visually by finding the point on the graph where the curve approaches the x-axis but does not intersect it. This point represents the minimum value of the logarithmic equation.