Minimum value of coefficient of friction

In summary, the minimum value of coefficient of friction is the smallest amount of friction that can exist between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is important because it affects the force required to move objects, the stability and safety of structures, and the efficiency of machines. This value is influenced by factors such as surface nature and roughness, material type, lubricants, and temperature and pressure. It can be measured using a tribometer, but cannot be completely eliminated due to surface imperfections.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=2f6cb4fd39107cb29731423563d09c12.jpg

Ans: c)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can solve this problem if only I understand the setup . I am sure the diagram is missing something .

Can someone help me understand the problem statement in context of the setup ?

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 383
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me that the diagram is missing a string. Probably from the lower pulley to the block with mass 2m, but I did not check that this leads to the given answer.

Likes Jahnavi
Orodruin said:
I did not check that this leads to the given answer
It does.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks both of you .

Last edited:

Related to Minimum value of coefficient of friction

1. What is the minimum value of coefficient of friction?

The minimum value of coefficient of friction is defined as the smallest amount of friction that can exist between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is typically denoted as μmin.

2. Why is the minimum value of coefficient of friction important?

The minimum value of coefficient of friction is important because it determines the amount of force required to move an object over a surface. It also affects the stability and safety of structures, as well as the efficiency of machines.

3. What factors affect the minimum value of coefficient of friction?

The minimum value of coefficient of friction is affected by various factors, such as the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the type of material, the presence of lubricants, and the temperature and pressure of the system.

4. How is the minimum value of coefficient of friction measured?

The minimum value of coefficient of friction can be measured experimentally using a device called a tribometer. This device applies a known force to two surfaces in contact and measures the resulting frictional force, allowing for the calculation of the coefficient of friction.

5. Can the minimum value of coefficient of friction be reduced?

Yes, the minimum value of coefficient of friction can be reduced by using lubricants between the surfaces in contact, increasing the smoothness of the surfaces, or by altering the materials used. However, it cannot be completely eliminated due to the inherent roughness and imperfections of surfaces.