Minimum u to keep ladder from slipping

In summary, the problem involves finding the required friction coefficient (u) for a 15 kg uniform ladder leaning against a frictionless wall at a 65 degree angle, in order to allow a 100kg person to stand 2/3 of the way up the ladder without slipping. The correct answer is .301, but the person solving the problem initially got u as 1.38 due to an error in the torque equation. The error was corrected by switching the cos and sin in the equation. It is noted that the placement of the 65 degree angle in the problem statement was not clearly specified.
Nikita23
I've read similar posts and have tried the problem several times but don't get the right answer.

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder with a mass of 15 kg leans against a frictionless wall at a 65 degree angle. Find the required friction coefficient (u) at the floor that will allow a 100kg person to stand 2/3 of the way up the ladder without slipping.

The answer is .301 but I get u is 1.38.

Homework Equations

t = r x f fg = 9.8 m

The Attempt at a Solution

Force of friction = force of wall

Normal force = fg of the ladder + fg of the person = 15*9.8 + 100*9.8 = 1127N

torque = 0 = torque of ladder + torque of person - torque of wall = 15*9.8*cos(25)*(1/2) + 100*9.8*cos(25)*(2/3) - (Force of wall)*cos(65)
I solved for Force of Wall to be 1558.7 N (I know that's wrong because it's supposed to be less than the normal force)

Force of friction = force of wall = 1558.7 = u*Fn = u*1127 u = 1.38

I think I messed up in the torque equation but I don't know exactly where. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your trig: Why are you using cos(25) to find the torque due to the weights?

Doc Al said:
Check your trig: Why are you using cos(25) to find the torque due to the weights?

Switching the cos and the sin gives the right answer. I guess i misunderstood the placement of the 65 degree angle

Nikita23 said:
I guess i misunderstood the placement of the 65 degree angle
I assume that the ladder is 65 degrees with respect to the floor--but it's not clearly specified in the problem statement.

Related to Minimum u to keep ladder from slipping

1. How do I calculate the minimum u value to keep a ladder from slipping?

To calculate the minimum u value, you will need to know the weight of the ladder, the weight of the person using the ladder, and the angle at which the ladder is placed. Use the formula u = (weight of person + weight of ladder) / (sin(angle)). This will give you the minimum coefficient of friction needed to prevent the ladder from slipping.

2. What is the ideal angle to place a ladder to prevent slipping?

The ideal angle to place a ladder will depend on the specific ladder and the weight of the person using it. However, in general, an angle of 75 degrees is recommended as it provides the most stability and requires the least amount of friction to keep the ladder from slipping.

3. How can I increase the coefficient of friction to keep a ladder from slipping?

There are a few ways to increase the coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground. One option is to use a non-slip material on the feet of the ladder. Another option is to add weight to the base of the ladder, such as using sandbags, to increase the downward force and create more friction.

4. What should I do if I don't have the minimum u value to keep a ladder from slipping?

If you do not have the minimum u value, it is not safe to use the ladder. You should either find a way to increase the coefficient of friction or find an alternative ladder that is better suited for the job. Never use a ladder that does not meet the minimum safety requirements.

5. Are there any other safety precautions I should take when using a ladder?

Yes, there are several other safety precautions to keep in mind when using a ladder. Always make sure the ladder is on a stable and level surface. Never stand on the top two rungs of the ladder. Use a ladder that is the appropriate height for the task at hand. And always have someone hold the base of the ladder or use a stabilizer to prevent it from tipping over.