Minimum time through a cyclotron

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the time taken to complete rotations in a cyclotron, as well as determining the energy and speed imparted by the dees. The formula r = mv^2/qvb is mentioned and the equation (((qr^2B^2)/m)-500)/1000)+1 is used to calculate the number of semi-circle rotations. The time for each rotation is determined by the equation 2pi*r/v/2.
kulgan

Homework Statement

86ca220a-9e89-4a6e-9325-4976aa83e5ae.png

v initial is also equal to 1000

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

the only time the particle actually speeds up is during the crossing of the dees. so
integral of of Vdx = the maximum energy of the system, but i don't know how to make this into an equation that will give me minimum time.

any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kulgan! welcome to pf! :smile:

you need to add the time taken to go round those semi-circles …

that will depend on v and on the (constant) magnetic field B :wink:

i understand that the time taken to go around each time is the same, so basically i need to find how many rotations it will take to get to the maximum speed that the cyclotron will support.
this brings me to my problem how do i get the amount of energy transferred by the dees each rotation.
the radius of the outside will determine my maximum speed correct?
so r=mv^2/qvb?
and how do i get the speed each dee imparts?

kulgan said:
… and how do i get the speed each dee imparts?

work done = qV ? :wink:

(((qr2B2)/m)-500)/1000)+1 gives number of semi circle rotations.
time through a rotation is given by 2pi*r/v/2
so how do you determine the time through a rotation?
it should be the same time for each one but now I'm unsure how to determine what it should be...

Last edited:
kulgan said:
so how do you determine the time through a rotation?

from your equation r=mv2/qvb :smile:

thanks for your help

Related to Minimum time through a cyclotron

What is a cyclotron?

A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator used in scientific research to accelerate charged particles to high speeds and energies. It consists of two hollow, D-shaped metal chambers called "dees" that are connected to a high-frequency alternating voltage source.

How does a cyclotron work?

In a cyclotron, charged particles are injected into the center of the dees and are then accelerated by an oscillating electric field. The particles spiral outward due to the magnetic field and gain energy with each revolution. When they reach the outer edge of the dees, they are ejected through a small gap and into a target for experiments.

What is the purpose of using a cyclotron?

Cyclotrons are used in various fields of scientific research, such as nuclear physics, nuclear medicine, and materials science. They are used to produce high-energy particles for studying the structure of matter, creating radioactive isotopes for medical imaging and treatments, and analyzing the properties of materials.

How is the minimum time through a cyclotron calculated?

The minimum time through a cyclotron is calculated using the equation t = (πr)/v, where t is the time, r is the radius of the cyclotron, and v is the velocity of the particles. This equation takes into account the time it takes for the particles to travel from the center of the dees to the outer edge and the time they spend accelerating in the dees.

What factors affect the minimum time through a cyclotron?

The minimum time through a cyclotron can be affected by various factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the frequency of the alternating voltage, and the initial velocity of the particles. Additionally, the design and size of the cyclotron can also impact the minimum time, as well as any external factors such as air resistance or friction within the cyclotron.