Understand Force Fields: Store and Release Energy?

In summary: Corporation has developed a technology that can store and release energy from force fields. They claim that this is a more efficient way to store energy than using batteries or capacitors.
eddo
This question is more regarding terminology than anything. It's from one of my assignments. The question is can you store energy in and release energy from a force field? I don't really understand what is being asked. I know you can store potential energy in objects in the force field, and technically mass is energy and that can be stored and released. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is stored in the electric field of a capacitor and in the magnetic field of an inductor.

I suppose we can also say that energy is stored in a gravitational field. For some reason I'm much more hesitant about that one. It sounds odd; but when you think about it, no more odd than having energy stored in the electromagnetic fields. (Or maybe gravitational potential energy is stored in the object that is in the field? I'll be interested to see what others have to say about this.)

Originally posted by eddo
This question is more regarding terminology than anything. It's from one of my assignments. The question is can you store energy in and release energy from a force field? I don't really understand what is being asked. I know you can store potential energy in objects in the force field, and technically mass is energy and that can be stored and released. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I really hate it when people try think of energy as being stored since it makes one think that the energy has a location.

I think what the assignment is referring to is that in the equations you will see field quantities. For example: Consider a charged particle in an inertial frame of referance, S. In S let there be an EM field which has a constant magnetic field (i.e. does not depend on time but may vary with position). Then the electric field is given by

[tex] E = -\nabla \Phi [/tex]

where [tex]\Phi [/tex] is the Coulomb potential (aka electric potential). The electric potential energy, V, is defined as

[tex] V = q\Phi [/tex]

Suppose you place a particle in such a field. Now do work on the charge to move in from one position to another. The potential energy will have changed. If you did work on it then energy left you and has to show up somewhere else. That energy shows up in the increase in the potential energy. I guess you can say that now the field has energy stored in it. But that's not a very meaningful thing so say since the total value of energy can always be set equal to zero with no change in the physics. Only changes in energy make sense.

Arcon

1. What is a force field?

A force field is a region in space where an object experiences a force due to the presence of another object. It can be visualized as an invisible field that exerts a push or pull on any object that enters it.

2. How do force fields store energy?

Force fields store energy by creating a potential energy gradient between two objects. This means that an object within the force field will have a higher or lower amount of potential energy depending on its position within the field. The farther away an object is from the source of the force field, the more potential energy it has.

3. How is energy released from a force field?

Energy is released from a force field when an object moves from a region of higher potential energy to a region of lower potential energy. This can happen when the object is pushed or pulled by the force within the field, causing it to move and release the stored energy.

4. What are some real-life examples of force fields storing and releasing energy?

One example is a magnetic force field, which can store energy in the form of magnetic potential energy and release it when a magnetic object is pulled into the field. Another example is a gravitational force field, such as the Earth's gravitational field, which stores energy in the form of gravitational potential energy and releases it when an object falls towards the Earth.

5. How can understanding force fields be useful?

Understanding force fields can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can help explain and predict the behavior of objects in relation to each other, and can also be used to design and control systems that utilize force fields, such as magnetic levitation trains and electric motors.