Minimum linear velocity attained by sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a sphere of mass M and radius R moving on a rough fixed surface with a coefficient of friction μ. It is observed that the sphere attains a minimum linear velocity at a certain time, when v>ωR. The equations for calculating this minimum linear velocity are derived, but it is noted that a minus sign is missing, causing confusion in the calculations.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass M and radius R is moving on a rough fixed surface, having co-efficient of friction μ, with a velocity v towards right and angular velocity ω clockwise. It will attain a minimum linear velocity at time (take v>ωR)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since v>ωR the sphere rolls with slipping. So frictional force will act in the backward direction. Using the equation [itex]\int \tau dt = \int dL [/itex] where τ=μmgR.

[itex]\mu mgRt= \frac{2}{5} mR^2 (\omega ' - \omega) \\

\mu mg = m \frac{dv}{dt} \\

\mu gt = (v' - v)
[/itex]

Using the relation v'=ω'R and solving the above two equations I get
t= 2(v-ωR)/3μg. But the correct answer has 7 in the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:
[itex]\mu mg = m \frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]
There is a minus sign missing.

I don't see why this point is called "minimum linear velocity" - it is the point where the sphere stops slipping.

mfb said:
There is a minus sign missing.

I don't see why this point is called "minimum linear velocity" - it is the point where the sphere stops slipping.

Why there should be a minus sign? Since friction acts backwards, so is the acceleration. Hence both minus cancels out. Are you trying to say that since velocity is decreasing that's why dv/dt should carry a '-' with it?

Acceleration is backwards, but as you write your equation both sides are positive, so v increases. You can use a negative v everywhere, but then things get really confusing and the initial v>ωR does not work.

I would first check the equations and calculations to ensure that they are accurate and relevant to the given scenario. I would also consider other factors that may affect the minimum linear velocity attained by the sphere, such as air resistance or the surface roughness. Furthermore, I would conduct experiments or simulations to verify the results and make any necessary adjustments. It is important to critically evaluate and analyze all aspects of the problem in order to provide a scientifically sound response.

Related to Minimum linear velocity attained by sphere

1. What is the minimum linear velocity attained by a sphere?

The minimum linear velocity attained by a sphere is when it is at rest, meaning it is not moving at all. This is known as the initial velocity, or v0.

2. How is the minimum linear velocity of a sphere calculated?

The minimum linear velocity of a sphere can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes, using the formula v=d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. Does the minimum linear velocity of a sphere change if it is in motion?

Yes, the minimum linear velocity of a sphere will change if it is in motion. This is because its velocity will increase as it gains acceleration from a force acting upon it.

4. Is the minimum linear velocity of a sphere affected by its mass?

Yes, the minimum linear velocity of a sphere is affected by its mass. The larger the mass of the sphere, the more force is needed to accelerate it to a certain velocity.

5. Why is it important to calculate the minimum linear velocity of a sphere?

Calculating the minimum linear velocity of a sphere is important in understanding its motion and how it is affected by different forces. It is also useful in predicting the trajectory and impact of a moving sphere in various scenarios.