Minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point

In summary, a satellite must be placed at a height of 35870 km above the Earth's surface in order to remain over the same geographic point on the equator.
F|234K
a.)calculate at what height above the Earth's surface a satellite must be placed if it is to remain over the same gerographical point on the equator of the earth. b.)what is the velocity of such a satellite?

i have no idea how to do the question, but i know it has to do with these equations:
Fcent.=Fgrav.
m(v^2)/r=GMm/(r^2)

because my book doesn't have answers for this question, i don't know the answer for this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the equation u need to use,but under an equivalent form.Now find "r" by plugging the correct numerical values...

Daniel.

P.S.HINT:relate angular velocity to tangent velocity...

dextercioby, can you please show me some work or maybe even tell me the answer. i am stuck becuase i found that there are two variables, "v" and "r", are unknown.

Yes.[itex] v=\omega r [/itex].And now u have only one variable,namely 'r'...

Daniel.

sorry for my ignorance, but what is the w(or omega) thing stands for?

Angular velocity of the Earth's rotation motion.U can find it knowing the period of rotation ("length" of a mean day) and the value of [itex] \pi [/itex],which can be approximated to [itex] 3.14 [/itex]

Daniel.

i found the answer for part a of my question to be 35870 km, can you please approve it. thanks a lot so far.

It seems correct.However,for point b) u'll need another number,or u can use this 35870Km,but indirectly.

Daniel.

anyways (i have a feeling that you arn't going to do the question for me), thanks very much dextercioby for your quick response, it helps me a great deal.

lol...k thanks

Tell me what number you get for velocity...

Daniel.

does 3072.6 m/s sounds good?

k, thanks again. :smile:

Related to Minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point

1. What is the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point?

The minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point is approximately 22,236 miles (35,786 kilometers) above the Earth's surface. This distance is known as the geostationary orbit.

2. Why is the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point important?

This minimum height is important because it allows the satellite to orbit at the same rate as the Earth's rotation, making it appear stationary in the sky from the perspective of an observer on the ground. This is crucial for satellite communications and weather monitoring.

3. Can a satellite be placed at a lower height and still remain over the same geographical point?

No, a satellite cannot remain at a lower height and still remain over the same geographical point. This is because the closer a satellite is to the Earth's surface, the faster it must travel to maintain its orbit. This would cause it to move out of position over time.

4. What factors determine the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point?

The main factor that determines the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point is the Earth's gravitational pull. Other factors include the satellite's velocity, the Earth's rotation, and the atmospheric drag.

5. Is the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point the same all over the Earth?

No, the minimum height for a satellite to remain over the same geographical point varies depending on the latitude of the point on Earth. The closer to the equator, the lower the minimum height, while it increases as the latitude approaches the poles.