Minimum GPA to transfer from Community to a decent 4 year college.

In summary: He's not sure yet.If he's working to make up for a lackluster GPA, it's not going to happen. He needs to start studying for classes and working towards a good GPA from the get-go.
xdrgnh
I have a friend who will be starting CC in the fall and he wants to transfer to a four year college eventually. I've been telling him that he'll need a 3.0 GPA and above to transfer and this scares him. I'm doubting my own words about a 3.0. What would you guys think is usually the minimum GPA needed to get into a decent 4 year college from a CC .

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
He will need to check with the university he plans to transfer to.

Mmm_Pasta said:
He will need to check with the university he plans to transfer to.

This.

Each university is different, some may accept a 2.0, some a 2.5, and some require a higher GPA. Keep in mind that just because a student meets a minimum of, let's say, 2.5, that doesn't mean that student will be accepted. It's best to be a bit above the minimum, so as to remain somewhat competitive if the amount of transfer openings are limited. And, of course, it's not all about a student's GPA either...

The issue with him is that his parents want him to work and only take a few classes at first. However he's was never that good with academics in the past. If he works I'm afraid that he might do so well. So even though it's not all about GPA I don't see him doing anything extraordinary if he spends most of his time working to make up for a lackluster GPA.

xdrgnh said:
The issue with him is that his parents want him to work and only take a few classes at first. However he's was never that good with academics in the past. If he works I'm afraid that he might do so well. So even though it's not all about GPA I don't see him doing anything extraordinary if he spends most of his time working to make up for a lackluster GPA.

It's not unheard of for people to work full time and get a degree while doing so. If he gets motivated enough, it's very possible even with a poor academic past. Be very supportive and helpful in anyway you can if it's truly what he wants to do.

Like others said, it varies per school as well as what program he wants to get into. I know at my school to transfer into the engineering program, you needed a 3.20.

Alright I understood. I'm just worried because in the past I sort of bugged him that it was time to get serious and start studying a lot on his own and this made his very upset. I hope he gets motivated on his own. The problem is there are people in his life that want him to take the safe route while he wants to do something more ambitious but he is giving into the people that want him to take the safe road. I know they are doing it because they believe it's for his own good however his wishes aren't coming through.

We need a lot more information to answer this question. What state are you from? What college does he want to go to? What major?

In California you can get into a good UC with about a 3.2+ gpa. For UCLA and UCB you need 3.5+ and as close to a 4.0 as possible. A 3.0 will probably get you into a lot of the Calstate colleges. Is he in a popular major? Impacted majors will require a significantly higher GPA. For example, at UCLA the average admitted GPA (according to the UCLA transfer profile website) for the major Business-Economics is a 3.9. In contrast the unimpacted major of Spanish is at a 3.4 average. The engineering college has an average of 3.7+ gpa.

A high GPA is definitely important but you could also encourage your friend to join clubs relevant to his major. It might encourage him to work harder.

I got into a top-ten engineering program with a 3.3. Just tell him to do as well as he can. There are more factors than just GPA.

Most universities have a transfer program from CC. YOU can't motivate someone, they themselves have to be motivated. If he's not, don't push him to do it now, it might hurt him in the future when he finally does become motivated

This is in new york and his major will either be in physical education or sociology. He's currently going to one of the Cuny Community Colleges. Will working while in college help him? His job that he will be working is a manual labor job that has nothing to do with his major.

Last edited:
Well.. I mean, not to be snotty, but his work experience there will likely be more useful on the job market than either of those degrees.

He wants to either open a gym or a Karate Dojo. The sociology is so that he can justify his dislike of "society". He believes he has been wronged in life.

xdrgnh said:
He wants to either open a gym or a Karate Dojo. The sociology is so that he can justify his dislike of "society". He believes he has been wronged in life.

If that's his goal, I'm not sure that a bachelors degree will be that useful to him.

Something to remember is that the point of a bachelors degree is train corporate drones. If your friend has no desire to be a corporate drone and no financial need to be a corporate drone, I don't think that it will be that useful for him.

I wouldn't push him too hard. If he is resentful of society, then there is a good chance that college is just going to make the situation worse and give him a dozen other things to be resentful of.

Honestly if a 3.0 scares him then he should just go flip burgers...

xdrgnh said:

Sounds like a school shooter in the making.

Related to Minimum GPA to transfer from Community to a decent 4 year college.

1. What is a minimum GPA requirement to transfer from a community college to a decent 4-year college?

The minimum GPA requirement to transfer varies depending on the college and program you are applying for. Generally, a GPA of 2.5 or higher is considered competitive for transfer students.

2. Can I transfer to a decent 4-year college with a lower GPA if I have completed a lot of credits?

Some colleges may have a minimum credit requirement in addition to a minimum GPA requirement for transfer students. However, having a high number of completed credits does not guarantee admission if your GPA does not meet the minimum requirement.

3. Are there any exceptions to the minimum GPA requirement for transfer students?

Sometimes, colleges may make exceptions for transfer students who have extenuating circumstances, such as medical or personal issues that impacted their academic performance. It is best to contact the admissions office of the college you are interested in to inquire about their policies on exceptions.

4. Does the minimum GPA requirement apply to all majors or only certain ones?

The minimum GPA requirement typically applies to all majors, but some programs may have higher GPA requirements for transfer students. It is important to research the specific requirements for your intended major at the college you are applying to.

5. Can I improve my chances of transferring with a higher GPA than the minimum requirement?

Having a higher GPA than the minimum requirement can definitely improve your chances of transferring to a decent 4-year college. Additionally, a strong overall academic record, including challenging courses and strong letters of recommendation, can also strengthen your application.