Minimum Glass Thickness (m) for Light of l=610nm, d=1.30mm, L=2.00m, n=2.2

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to find the minimum thickness of a piece of glass with an index of refraction of 2.2, placed at one of the slits of a pair of slits separated by 1.30 mm and illuminated with light of 610 nm wavelength, in order to produce a shift in the maxima that falls on a minimum on a screen 2.00 m away. The equations used include Dx = lL/d and t = (m + 1/2)λ/(2n), with the path difference between the two rays being calculated using dx = Dx*d/D. The minimum thickness of the glass plate can then be found using the expression for normal shift.
pooka
A pair of slits separated by d = 1.30 mm is illuminated with light of l = 610 nm wavelength and falls on a screen L = 2.00 m away. A piece of glass with index of refraction n = 2.2 is placed at one slit. If the maxima shift is Dx/2, and falls on a minimum, what was the minimum glass thickness (in meters)?

What I did:
I first found Dx using the equation: Dx = lL/d and got an answer of 9.38*10^-4

Then because it says Dx/2. I divided that number by 2.

After that, I wasn't sure which equation to use. The only equation that seemed likely was the t = (m + 1/2)λ/(2n) but in this equation, I can't use the number (Dx/2) that I've calculated. Am I using the right equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
pooka said:
What I did:
I first found Dx using the equation: Dx = lL/d and got an answer of 9.38*10^-4

Then because it says Dx/2. I divided that number by 2.
pooka said:
Dx gives you the distance of the first maximum from the central bright fringe and ( Dx + Dx/2) gives you the distance of the first maximum from the central bright fringe after introducing the thin plate.
From Dx and Dx + Dx/2, you can find the path difference between the two rays coming from the two sources by using the expression dx = Dx*d/D
Difference in the path difference is due the the normal shift produced in the thin glass plate.
Using the expression for the normal shift you can find the minimum thickness of the plate.

Your approach is correct. The equation you mentioned, t = (m + 1/2)λ/(2n), is the correct equation to use for this problem. However, since you have already calculated Dx/2, you can substitute that value in for t and solve for the minimum glass thickness, t. This will give you the value in meters. Just remember to convert your wavelength (l) from nanometers to meters before substituting it into the equation.

Related to Minimum Glass Thickness (m) for Light of l=610nm, d=1.30mm, L=2.00m, n=2.2

1. What is the significance of minimum glass thickness for light of l=610nm, d=1.30mm, L=2.00m, n=2.2?

The minimum glass thickness is the thinnest dimension that a piece of glass can have while still being able to effectively transmit light with a wavelength of 610nm, a diameter of 1.30mm, a length of 2.00m, and a refractive index of 2.2.

2. How is the minimum glass thickness calculated?

The minimum glass thickness can be calculated using the formula: t = (λ / 2) / (n - 1), where t is the thickness, λ is the wavelength, and n is the refractive index.

3. Why is a minimum glass thickness necessary for light transmission?

A minimum glass thickness is necessary for light transmission because if the glass is too thin, the light will not be properly refracted and may not be transmitted through the glass at all. This can result in reduced efficiency and effectiveness of any optical system utilizing the glass.

4. How does the refractive index affect the minimum glass thickness?

The refractive index directly affects the minimum glass thickness, as it is used in the formula to calculate the thickness. A higher refractive index requires a thinner glass piece to effectively transmit light, while a lower refractive index allows for a thicker glass piece.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the minimum glass thickness?

Yes, the wavelength and the diameter of the light can also have an impact on the minimum glass thickness. A shorter wavelength and smaller diameter of light will require a thinner glass piece, while a longer wavelength and larger diameter will require a thicker glass piece.