Minimum Force Required to Keep 2 Blocks Sliding on Frictionless Surface

In summary: Then you can solve for F.N = F12 = F21 = μs(F21)In summary, the two blocks shown above are sliding across a frictionless surface by a force F from the left. The two blocks are not attached but the coefficient of static friction between the two is μs = 0.39. The mass of the smaller block is m1 = 14 kg and the mass of the larger block is m2 = 80 kg.
r34racer01
block.jpg

The two blocks shown above are sliding across a frictionless surface by a force F from the left. The two blocks are not attached but the coefficient of static friction between the two is μs = 0.39. The mass of the smaller block is m1 = 14 kg and the mass of the larger block is m2 = 80 kg.

a) What is the minimum force required to keep the smaller block from sliding down the larger block?

I'm completely lost on this one. But here's what I tried.
For M1: ΣFx = F - F12
ΣFy = Ff - mg = 0 = 0.39*N - (14)(9.81) so N = 352.15
For M2: ΣFx = F21
ΣFy = N - (80)(9.81) + Ff = 0 so N + Ff = (80)(9.81) so N = 647.46

I'm pretty sure what I have down so far is very wrong, so can someone help steer me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
r34racer01 said:
I'm completely lost on this one. But here's what I tried.
For M1: ΣFx = F - F12
Good, but incomplete. Set that net force equal to m1a.
ΣFy = Ff - mg = 0 = 0.39*N - (14)(9.81) so N = 352.15
Good! How does N relate to F12?
For M2: ΣFx = F21
Like before, good but incomplete. Set that net force equal to m2a. How does F12 relate to F21?
ΣFy = N - (80)(9.81) + Ff = 0 so N + Ff = (80)(9.81) so N = 647.46
Good, but not needed.

You don't seem completely lost. :smile:

So a friend of mine gave me an equation that gave me the right answer but I don't understand why it works. It's:

u * [(m2 * F)/(m1 + m2)] = m1 * g

Can someone explain to me why this worked?

r34racer01 said:
So a friend of mine gave me an equation that gave me the right answer but I don't understand why it works. It's:

u * [(m2 * F)/(m1 + m2)] = m1 * g

Can someone explain to me why this worked?
Rather than use someone else's solution, finish your own. You were almost there.

To compare your answer with your friends, use symbols (m, g, μ, F) instead of plugging in numbers right away. (Generally it's best to only plug in numbers at the last step.)

Doc Al said:
Rather than use someone else's solution, finish your own. You were almost there.

To compare your answer with your friends, use symbols (m, g, μ, F) instead of plugging in numbers right away. (Generally it's best to only plug in numbers at the last step.)

Ok well you said that "Good! How does N relate to F12?" But that's where it gets confusing. Since the smaller block is not touching the ground would the normal force in this case be the contact force between the blocks(N=F21=F12)?

r34racer01 said:
Since the smaller block is not touching the ground would the normal force in this case be the contact force between the blocks(N=F21=F12)?

YES! so the normal force as used by friction is just the force perpendicular to the direction in which friction is applied. Since friction is stopping the block from sliding down, the normal force used for this friction is F12 = F21.

Just imagine pressing your hands together really hard and trying to slide them up and down. The more you press, the more difficult it gets, since you're increasing the normal force which multiplies the friction coefficient.

r34racer01 said:
Ok well you said that "Good! How does N relate to F12?" But that's where it gets confusing. Since the smaller block is not touching the ground would the normal force in this case be the contact force between the blocks(N=F21=F12)?
Exactly! (And that's the only normal force you care about in this problem.)

Doc Al said:

Doc Al said:
Exactly! (And that's the only normal force you care about in this problem.)

Ok so then would F = F12 = μs(F21)?

r34racer01 said:
Ok so then would F = F12 = μs(F21)?
No.

Go back to your equations and clean them up. Since you know that F12 = F21 = N, replace all of those by the same symbol N.

Related to Minimum Force Required to Keep 2 Blocks Sliding on Frictionless Surface

1. What is the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding on a frictionless surface?

The minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding on a frictionless surface is zero. In a frictionless environment, once the blocks are set in motion, they will continue to slide without the need for any external force.

2. What factors affect the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding?

The only factors that affect the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding on a frictionless surface are the mass of the blocks and the initial velocity at which they are set in motion. The greater the mass and initial velocity, the more force is required to keep them sliding at a constant speed.

3. How does the coefficient of friction play a role in the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces. In a frictionless environment, there is no coefficient of friction, therefore it does not play a role in the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding.

4. Is it possible for the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding to be negative?

No, the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding on a frictionless surface cannot be negative. This is because in a frictionless environment, there is no opposing force to the motion of the blocks.

5. Can the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding change if the surface is not completely frictionless?

Yes, if the surface is not completely frictionless, the minimum force required to keep two blocks sliding may change. The presence of friction will create an opposing force to the motion of the blocks, therefore requiring more force to keep them sliding at a constant speed.