Minimum distance between skew vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum distance between two satellites, A and B, which are moving at constant velocities and are traced by a space base at the origin. The question is whether the minimum distance is equal to the distance between two skew vectors, A and B. The answer to the first question is not known, but the second question is believed to be yes. The distance between the two satellites is determined using the distance formula at a particular moment in time, taking into account the velocities and positions of the satellites. The conversation also mentions considering the straightest path and the normal distance between the paths the satellites travel on. The final conclusion is to take the derivative to find the point in time when the satellites are closest.
peripatein
Hi,

Satellites A and B are traced at a particular moment by a space base located at the origin, with respect to which they move at constant velocities:
A0 = (a1,0,a3); B0 = (0,b2,b3)
V of satellite A = (Va,0,0); V of satellite B = (Vb,Vb,0)

Is the minimum distance between the satellites equal to the distance between the two skew vectors A = (a1,0,a3) + (Va,0,0)t and B = (0,b2,b3) + (Vb,Vb,0)t? Are they indeed skew?

If so, the distance is a3-b3, which does not seem reasonable to me (as over simpified and does not involve too many of the problem's parameters).

Any advice, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I drew a quick picture which helped me. The answer to the first question is I don't know. The answer to the second question I think is yes (they certainly aren't parallel).

Does minimum here mean the straightest path or some point in time? Who knows. However, you're coming up with a constant number which can't be right for either definition.

a3-b3 (maybe take the absolute value because a3-b3 could be negative) is the normal distance between the two lines the satellites travel on. Both satellites are traveling in planes parallel to the xy plane because both have a velocity of 0 in the z direction. However, this doesn't mean the satellites were ever that close apart because Va doesn't equal Vb. a3-b3 is the minimum distance between the paths the satellites travel on.

Here is what I think is the best answer to this question which is the distance formula at a moment in time: [((a1+Va*t)-(0+Vb*t))^2+((0+0*t)-(b2+Vb*t))^2+((a3+0*t)-(b3+0*t))^2]^.5
Take the derivative to find the point in time when they are the closet.

Does that help some?

Related to Minimum distance between skew vectors

What is the definition of minimum distance between skew vectors?

The minimum distance between skew vectors is the shortest distance between two lines that do not intersect and are not parallel to each other. In other words, it is the distance between two lines that are closest to each other while still being skew (i.e. not intersecting or parallel).

How is the minimum distance between skew vectors calculated?

The minimum distance between skew vectors can be calculated using the formula d = |(a × b) · c| / ||a × b||, where a and b are the direction vectors of the two lines, and c is the vector connecting a point on one line to a point on the other line.

Can the minimum distance between skew vectors be negative?

No, the minimum distance between skew vectors cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the shortest distance between two non-intersecting and non-parallel lines.

Are there any real-life applications of the concept of minimum distance between skew vectors?

Yes, the concept of minimum distance between skew vectors has applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. It is used, for example, in determining the shortest distance between two non-parallel wires or beams in structural analysis, or in calculating the shortest distance between two non-intersecting rays in 3D rendering.

Is the minimum distance between skew vectors the same as the perpendicular distance between two lines?

No, the minimum distance between skew vectors is not the same as the perpendicular distance between two lines. Perpendicular distance refers to the shortest distance between two lines that are perpendicular to each other, while minimum distance between skew vectors refers to the shortest distance between two lines that are not perpendicular, but still do not intersect or are parallel.